588,385 active members*
5,481 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

10TF boot fails

hello all,
    i've got a problem with my 10TF. When i power up the control, it doesn't boot up correctly, the 7 segment led on the master pcb shows a F. I know it could be a defective I/O board (A03B 0801 C101). On the backside of the yellow case are two columns of led's. The left one (ER) shows a red led 1, the right one (SA BA) shows a green led 0 in the SA column. All other led's are dark. When i powered on and off a few times the control came up finally. After 2 hours of work same problem. Does anyone know how i can determine the bad part.
    thanks
    Martin

The large backplane where the IO units mount on might have a poor connection.

You can either resolder all the backplane connectors or fold a piece of paper and stick it between the IO units to tighten the connections.
    Hopefully the fibre optic cable is not breaking down...

Quote Originally Posted by hrh View Post
    The large backplane where the IO units mount on might have a poor connection.

You can either resolder all the backplane connectors or fold a piece of paper and stick it between the IO units to tighten the connections.
    Hopefully the fibre optic cable is not breaking down...
    the fibre optics should be easy to check, just have someone shine a flashlight in one end while watching the other end...both fibers should be equally bright. Ive seen quite a few COP1 optic sockets go bad though- the infrared emitting diodes dont last forever- you can 'look' at the infrared with any digital camera/any old ccd camcorder- with power on, just look into the ends of the cable with other end plugged in, and power up control- should flash very brightly on the camera screen from only one fiber...plug that back in, pull the other end and repeat- the end that looks dark is the good end- the infrared 'transmit' is not being sent from the opposite end(if the fibers ok). remember theres usually 2 or more fiber links- master to operator panel, operator panel to operator i/o, and the master to i/o rack, and first rack to second rack and so on...

Unhappy defective module

Quote Originally Posted by tc429 View Post
    the fibre optics should be easy to check, just have someone shine a flashlight in one end while watching the other end...both fibers should be equally bright. Ive seen quite a few COP1 optic sockets go bad though- the infrared emitting diodes dont last forever- you can 'look' at the infrared with any digital camera/any old ccd camcorder- with power on, just look into the ends of the cable with other end plugged in, and power up control- should flash very brightly on the camera screen from only one fiber...plug that back in, pull the other end and repeat- the end that looks dark is the good end- the infrared 'transmit' is not being sent from the opposite end(if the fibers ok). remember theres usually 2 or more fiber links- master to operator panel, operator panel to operator i/o, and the master to i/o rack, and first rack to second rack and so on...
    I have a machine with this same module. I did the cheking with a flash light on the fibre optic, looks ok, but the control is giving that all limits are open.
    the leds on the module are telling that the signals are there, looks to me that the problem is on the module, what do you think? as is not sending the signals to the mother board
    Jorge B.
    jorbercnc.com