587,698 active members*
3,476 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Vectric > 12" dial caliper rack made with Cut2D

12" dial caliper rack made with Cut2D

I started working on this caliper rack last week and engraved another area on the face of it tonight. I used a graphic of an old 1942 Chevy tonight and it turned out OK. I will do more cleanup tracing the next time around.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Regards,
    Wes

Update

I got one coat of clear on the stained dial caliper rack. A couple more coats and some other finishing work and it will be done. It already looks better, but I might as well take my time and finish it so it will last long. I've attached a picture as well.

Best regards,
    Regards,
    Wes

frankly speaking..ur carving ,finishing and graphics selection is not upto the mark...Cut2D and Vcarvepro can do much better...

Keep up ur work this will make u more artistic..

I would recommend some better material also. It looks like you used a 2x4.

There's a boat load of free DXF files on this site. I think it's under the "share your art files" thread on this site. Most are already cleaned up and ready to cut.

By the way we also use Vectric. Here's a sample of some of the cuts we've done.
    Most of what we cut is alum. The wood carving is a sample program that came with the vetric software.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mach 3 005.jpg   Mach 3 007.jpg   CNC router build 019.jpg  

Thanks for the constructive criticism and encouragement Khalid and Mike. You basically nailed it Mike, as it was made from a 2" x 6" rem. I was not too worried about the rough appearance as it still will be better than laying the calipers on the benchtop. I agree that I probably should have used better material and designs, but at the time I was so anxious to make something. I will keep at it and hopefully I will get better all around.
    Regards,
    Wes

I think it is a good piece. You will teach yourself to get better with experience.

Nice job on the Chevy! What kind of bit did you use to mill it out?

Dan

I know when i made my first piece...I have great feelings that day, i shared that piece every one around although it was rough without fininshing ...it was not as good i am creating todays... At those times i have only X and Y-axis motors installed at my router and I ran it with 5V....only getting 5 IPM.....and we stoood at machine and manually adjusting our z-axis as the engraving carry forward...

I don't want to discourage you but the experience will tell u ...and you will also amazed about ur previous creations and probably would laugh for sharing...
    Best of luck

Hi Dan,
    I used a 2 flute carbide engraving tool(.250" dia.) and a minimal depth of about .010" in a couple passes. Thanks.
    Regards,
    Wes