588,232 active members*
4,557 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: 2 questions

2 questions

hey guys... just planning my machine and have 2 sticking points before its all go.. should get going this week!!
    1. can you trigger the plasma cutter from the hand piece allowing its removal for use as a normal cutter? or do you have to install a relay circuit.
    2. will 425 Oz-in motors be sufficient for a plasma and light routing?
    thanks guys just need these two points clearing up

this may help

Take a little more time studying the posts and you will find the answer to your questions. I am pretty much a novice myself so my input is not concrete in any way shape or form. The motors you mention would probably work with plasma but I doubt they would perform good for routing. Mixing the two processes together is odd to me, but I know some try and some do it. To me sparks and fine (saw) dust are a disaster waiting to happen. I have seen posts where they claim to make the two into one machine and I think it is possible, but what is the time involved in switching over, fire precautions, and what not. A big consideration I would think. I am kind of shocked no one as pitched in yet to help with your questions. I, myself am more into the metal end of the machines but I do see a need arising for the potential of routing. All I can really only advise on from my stand point, it is to take a long look at your goals, possible ways of getting to them and reality, the part that sucks. Usually finances make us make our biggest (second) choices, and not always the correct ones. I was very fortunate in my path and looking back now, thinking to myself, I was just flat ass lucky. I will comment on two vendors you will not go wrong with, CandCNC and Hypertherm . Can't go wrong.

thanks mate... its not so much using it on wood as i was thinking along the lines of etching and engraving into metal.... so i would probly never use it on wood. if seen it done with and end mill in a spindle before on normal sheet... not sure where to get the end mill.
    i would love a candCNC set up but im from down under so freight kills it am eying off a hyper therm 45 plasma cutter tho .
    thanks for your reply.
    any one else?

I have a Hypertherm Powermax 45 on my table--with a machine torch on the table, and a hand torch for when I need to cut something by hand. It's a quick-release fitting at the plasma unit, so it literally takes 20 seconds to go from cutting on the table to cutting by hand.
    Carl

cheers i learn thats a huge help, so you dont have to open the machine and install a relay? i wanted to get a hypertherm 45 so that might be a viable option!! really appreciated mate

The Hypertherm systems have interface connections available on a connector on the rear panel. These connections are active when the machine torch is plugged in, inactive when a hand torch is plugged in (this is for safety reasons as the hand torch has its own trigger switch...and a remote start could cause a hand torch to fire inadvertantly).

The start input requires that the cnc machine simply close a set of contacts (pins 3 and 4 on the Hypertherm) to start the torch. Most cnc controls have a start output that is a contact closure......so I do not see any need to "add a relay"
    The Hypertherm also has an output (pins 12 and 14) that closes when the arc transfers to the metal being cut. This is used to let the CNC or the Torch Height Control know that the cutting process is active. There also is a 50:1 divided arc voltage present on the rear panel connector of the Hypertherm units (on Powermax65 and 85 there are other, switchable rations from 20:1 to 50:1). If raw arc voltage output is required then the plasma cover must be removed and access to the raw DC voltage needs to be made directly to the main circuit board. Hyperthem supplies the instructions on how to do this safely and correctly.

Jim Colt Hypertherm