588,219 active members*
4,182 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > 2007 & V21 with Windows Vista :(

Angry 2007 & V21 with Windows Vista :(

My new 2007 & V21 software, along with BobArt, are not stable. I have a new Dell laptop (Vostro). It has 2 Gb. of RAM and a 256 Mb video card. The computer is one month old.

Since it is a Vostro (Dell's business computer) it does not have AOL, Earthlink, freeware, trialware, junkware and trashware preloaded. In other words, it's a smooth, fast, modern computer. BobCad does not work well with it.

In four hours of working with it today, it's crashed five times.

So far, I'm not impressed.

When I ask the salesman if these programs were compatible with XP, he told me 'yes'. I later learned that they are meant for XP and have to be ran in XP emulation mode. I was under the impression that they were written specifically for Vista. They were not. That may be a misunderstanding, but I believe that the misunderstanding was intentional from BobCad.

There have been no problems on My PC's that run XP Home Edition, and the Lap Top is 5 Years old and only has 32MB Graphic Ram, 1GB Ram, Pentium 4 at 2.0GHz. Desk Top has 2 Pentium 4's Hyperthreaded, 1.5GB Ram, and 256MB Graphics RAM, both are DELL's.

Have you tried BCC Tech Support yet???

If not I suggest a call tomorrow between 10am and 2pm Eastern Time.

They might be able to help you, and if they can't call on Monday and ask for the Head of Tech Support. He is really good.

Hope this helps at least a little.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Try turningoff the security for a short time and see if it helps. 2007 should work with Vista but 21 was out long before Vista so it was written for XP. However it should work though.

Is there a specific function you are using when it crashes?

Tjones,

Is there a way to run XP Programs in Vista like the Application or Compatibility Wizard in Windows??

In a post long ago on another board I think you mentioned it, but not 100% sure.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

I have the same problem. This is what I got from BC;

Microsoft Vista Testing

We have tested all current versions of the BobCAD-CAM Software with Microsoft Vista. Due to the new Security measures in Vista many new programs, including BobCAD-CAM will require some permissions to be set after install. For Instructions click Here.

We are currently looking at the Digital Signature requirements to prevent these steps from being required in the future.

We do not expect any issues with our software but as with any new Operating System we expect several updates/patches to be released from Microsoft over the next few months. We will continue to test our software with those updates/patches so please check back for any changes.

Officially, all current versions of the BobCAD-CAM software will work on Microsoft Vista. However, due to the fact that Vista is brand new we continue to recommend Windows XP Service Pack 2. We are finding, due to the way that Microsoft Vista handles OpenGL you may get better performance by using Vista Home Premium and not Vista Home Basic. Upon request, computers with Windows XP Service Pack 2 installed are still availble through many computer retail outlets. http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/6968/diffyo8.jpg

Before upgrading any existing Windows 98/2000/XP machine to Microsoft Vista we highly recommend consulting a Computer Repair technician.

close.
    Fixing Permissions

If you are not an Administrator on the computer you will be given a warning.
    Have the user close all open applications(precaution)
    Click on the Start Menu (this is a Windows icon typically found in the bottom left hand corner of the screen)
    Then click on Computer
    Navigate to the BobCAD-CAM directory (Typical Install
    Double Click on 'C - drive'
    Double Click on 'Program Files'
    Double Click on BobCad-CAM
    Each of our programs are in seperate folders. For example: 'BOBCAD-CAM - 21'
    You will have to do this for each program which should be in seperate folders.
    Right Click on the BobCAD21 icon and Left Click on Properties.
    Left Click on the Compatibility Tab
    (No Compatibility Tab? See Note*)
    Left Click on the button at the bottom of the properties window that says "Show settings for all users"
    Click Continue in the dialog that prompts you
    Check Run in Compatibility Mode and Run as Administrator
    Left Click on OK.

*No Compatibility Tab?

This seems to be an issue that occurs after an upgrade is done from an earlier verison of Windows to Vista. Vista Home Basic does NOT have all the Compatibility Mode Features that the higher end versions have.

A possible solution: Right click on the BobCAD21 icon on the desktop and if available, click on Compatibility Tab. Continue with Above.

This would have to be done for each user. Any other problems with the Compatibility Mode please contact Microsoft Support.

Toby,
    There doesn't seem to be a particular function when it crashes. It appears random.

As for the compatibility, I've done that. I had to do that to get them to install at all. Now that they are installed, they don't run consistently and the post processors won't install. I get a 'Failed to correctly install' error box. I better use my 'tech time' wisely... The clock is ticking.

Why am I doing R & D for BobCad?

I can see that support is lacking and that it will only get worse. Fortunately, this is a great website with intelligent members. Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by TZ250 View Post
    Toby,
    There doesn't seem to be a particular function when it crashes. It appears random.

As for the compatibility, I've done that. I had to do that to get them to install at all. Now that they are installed, they don't run consistently and the post processors won't install. I get a 'Failed to correctly install' error box. I better use my 'tech time' wisely... The clock is ticking.

I can see that support is lacking and that it will only get worse. Fortunately, this is a great website with intelligent members. Thanks guys!
    Don't thank us yet because your problem isn't solved

I have stayed away from Vista for this very reason. No CAD/CAM could equal a total mental melt down IMPO.

Your BCC Tech Support if you didn't purchase the extra package runs out 45 days after the original sale date. This is not your run of the mill (had to use this expression LOL) problem. It is an Application Problem that shouldn't affect the 45 day Tech Support allowance.

You should be calling BCC. They should be able to help you to solve this O/S issue. Call the main office tomorrow. Tell them that you are unable to use the software do to the Vista O/S and they will help you. Tell them tobyaxis told you to call them.

If they don't send me an email and I'll see what I can do for you.

You have a PM
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

You are right, there are many intelligent users on this and other forums. They can be of great assistance in a time of need.

The BobCAD Support team is actually quite useful and intelligent. Each of the Support Technicians has their own forte, so I would hesitate to be so quick to judge. Like Toby said, give them a call. Your current issue does not fall within the general usage guidelines and as such allows you to call without having the support package.

There are a couple of things that might help identify where the problem is:

1.) Are you drawing when the system crashes?
    2.) What model is the computer, i.e. does it have a model number? Believe it or not, not all of the hardware mfg. and OEMs have the latest drivers for their components available to the end user. This has actually been quite a problem for some users.

Regards

ejdfast Guest

Vista

As stated by the one you need to update your video drivers and download any updates from your computer manufacturer.

Per the tech. support recommendation, I did download & update software and drivers.

I spent two hours downloading and installing 29 updates.

It didn't help.

Tech support has now sent some instructions to install a post processor using regedit.

There last suggestion did allow the post processor to install.

I haven't tried to write a program yet, but I will very soon.

The real problem was that the post processor wasn't being installed in the correct place. It was basically lost because the address location did not have the "C:" in front of it.