587,997 active members*
1,629 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

3D Laser Scanning Services Offered

We can scan 3D objects for you. Our laser scanning technology is some of the most reliable on the market today. We don't just scan objects. We make watertight .STL files that you can mill on your CNC machine without fear of holes. Holes can ruin a CNC spindle in a heartbeat.

We have been using our laser scanner technology for 3 years now and can now produce "scan to mill" files that are accurate to within 1/32 of an inch. On top of that, we have the ability to add "level of detail" using Virtual 3D Carving Technology.

Want to watch us scan your object? We can invite you to an Internet based collaboration platform, where you can sit in your office, and watch our scanner in action. All you need is an Internet connection and some free software that installs in minutes.

If you are a woodworker using CNC in your shop, you know how hard it is to generate 3D Carving details for reproduction and replication. When you do generate them, often there are times that you have to hand-carve anyway. Even with the best software, it is often very hard to replicate an object with ornate carving details.

If you are an architect, not only can we recreate 3D architectual millwork for your company, we can mill it for you as well on one of our 3 CNC machines.

In addition to scanning your object, we can use our CAD software to recreate geometric profiles for moldings, corbels, columns and many other objects, and then, apply the .STL Laser Scan detail to the part. Upon completion of this process, we can add the needed containment fields and recommend cutting strategies that will minimize per piece CNC time and maximize production for your machines.

New Wave Woodworking is at the forefront of Laser Scanning and CNC Technology. We don't build the lasers and the CNC machines, we push them to new heights! We invite you to visit camheads.org to see a small portion of our work. Our new website will be launching shortly. In the meantime, check out our latest "Scan to Mill" job.

Basic scanning services start at $100.00 and up.

The link below will take you to my User Profile at Camheads.
    (You may need to register to view photos)

http://www.camheads.org/member.php?u=190
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Owl Carving 022cr.jpg   Owl%20Carving%20012cr.jpg  

Laser Scanning of a 3 inch high chess piece.

Originally posted at Camheads.org. by me GJMATHEWS at Camheads. You can click the link below to see my other work. You may need to register to view photo albums.

http://www.camheads.org/member.php?u=190

One of my many other talents is Laser Scanning parts to produce working 3D models for milling on CNC machines. I know there are other companies out there that do this, but for some strange reason, I never see the initial scans of these companies.

A member of Camheads sent me these chess pieces. This is a quick scan of the bishop, using my hand held scanner. Tomorrow I will set up studio lights and produce a 3d Scan of the entire piece. Total scan time was 4 minutes start to finish. From the basic scan, I can make a watertight .STL ready for milling as you can see in the second photo. Total time to do all this was less then 20 minutes. This basic scan file has holes in in it right now, however they are so small, you could mill with a 1/16 inch ball nose and not pierce the surface. All laser scanners have faults. I know someone will email in the next day or two telling me that their scanner is perfect and you can scan and mill with no file manipulation whatsoever other then Axis placement and tool paths. In some cases you can, but the detail is lacking, such as the owls that I scanned and milled. However, the proof is always in the pudding. My pudding is a Polhemus FastScan!

This piece stands 3 and 3/8 inches high. As you can see the detail is pretty pronounced for a hand held scan.

Would love to see the work of others, start to finish. I think Brady Watson could give me a run for my money. I have seen his finshed scans on his website but not the inital work. So far, I am only aware of myself and one other person that is scanning and milling in under 1 hour. I am open to all challenges.

Anyway, my point is, we are only limited by our imaginations and our wallets. We are living in an incredible time right now. The technology to change just about anything is at our fingertips. Davids scanner looks pretty cool from what I saw and I do not think the file manipulation would be too hard for anyone with basic computer and CAD skill, however it does take time. Lots of time depending on level of detail. Artcam or Aspire can definately handle the cleanup detail.

Anyhow, looking forward to seeing more people posting there work in this area. More to come as I scan the chess set.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chess Piece.jpg   BishopSTL.jpg  

An example of our Scan to Mill technology.

Carving a pair of Hooter's!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtd-xFukZQ4"]YouTube - Man carves a pair of Hooter's on a CNC Router[/ame]

Can't view video. It says "Embedding disabled by request"

Try it now

Sorry. Clicked the wrong thing when I uploaded it. You can view it now no problems.

Thanks.

New Scan

This is for a customer who wanted this design with some minor changes. I scanned the object using the Polhemus Fastscan. Technically, I could cut out the detail, paste is into another 3d object and turning and call it my own design, however, I will use a virtual 3D carving program to manipulate the scanned object even more and add some detail that the original manufacturer never even thought of.

For those of you who still think laser scanning is BS, I invite you to see more of my work at Camheads.org.

Learn more about New Woodworking.

For those interested, you can visit our site at...

www.newwavewoodworking.com

Laser Scanning page went live today.

Hello, thanks for posting these pictures. Is the difference in the resolution from the scan or the machining?

scan services

very usefull, id be interested in anyone in the uk that offers the same service thanks.