588,619 active members*
4,536 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 4 of 4 234
    Colin, here's a thread where CNC signmaker's discuss Extira.
    http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/mes...315/12120.html
    I'm not sure its 100% relevant, but its interesting reading.

Trent

Thanks for the link, I will have a look through it.
    Colin

Looks like some people are having trouble with paint peeling off with the masking. Fortunately, because it is waterproof, I wont need to paint the machine to protect it.
    I hope to be going into the city next week, and will try to get out to the retailer that sells Extira there to pick up a couple of sheets. I have a sample on the way from the manufacturer too, in case I dont get out to the retailer.
    Colin

Hello,

Yes, we have. We were considering usig it for our woodduck kits. It's a bit soft IMO. And the end "grain" does not retain screws as well as regular MDF... YMMV.

Ballendo

Quote Originally Posted by yukonho
    Thanks Ballendo.
    I just located a (reasonably) local retailer for extira. I asked all kinds of questions, and it seems to me that this stuff is going to be the ticket. It is more expensive, $60 CAD for a 3/4" sheet 4' X 8', but overall that should only increase the cost of the machine by $50 or so.
    Wonder if anyone has actually used this material for a CNC router....
    Colin

We use the sign makers MDF for the spill board on a 5' x 10' router and for the most part the only way you can distinguish it from your standard Home Depot MDF is to toss it in water.

You know how beat up the spill board on a busy machine can get with various holes and kerfs. Even with the misters going to cut aluminum I don't see any swelling for the 3 months or so a board lasts befor it needs swapping out.

Very nice design! I think your issue is the size you chose. Your too big for people wanting mini routers and too big for the bench top group...a tweener lol.

Very nice machinr indeed.

It´s durable

Page 4 of 4 234