587,524 active members*
3,360 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > 4 axis controller for 3 axis machine?

4 axis controller for 3 axis machine?

Hey everyone,

As some of you may know, my friend's father built a board for my cnc machine but it failed miserably, so I'm looking to just buy one. I am looking at the hobby cnc boards because they're cheap, I know it'll work, and they support low voltage (12v) motors, such as mine.

Anyways, they're having a sale, and they only have 4 axis cnc controller kits left. I am building a three axis cnc, but would it still work and not cause any problems? I'm probably using Mach3 software.

Thanks everyone!

Yes it will work. You don't need to use the fourth axis if you don't need it.
    It is better to have it there. If there is a problem with the driver on any of the other axis, you can swap to the spare one and reprogram Mach3 to use it. Also you may decide to add a rotary table at a later time in which case it will come in handy.

Genguy,

Good advice.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I will probably buy the kit tonight. I am not much of a solderer though, has anyone had any experience with these kits? How hard are they to put together?

there are atleast two threads on the zone that I have seen recently, do asearch for them, I think you will find them informative

Thanks, I tried searching but the search is kinda weak and I can never get much useful stuff out of it.

Maybe this will help you (search)?

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...06&postcount=7

Here you go if found it in less than 20 seconds
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25504

Thanks a ton, Guys!