588,487 active members*
5,115 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

4AUPC Max Current

I was reading an article on the Yahoo CNCFoamCutter board for newbies that stated if you are using 4 1amp motors that you should double the amount of current available to 8 amps. If I'm using 3amp motors that would be 24 amps! If the HobbyCNC 4AUPC board sets the max to 3 amps per motor then what's the point of doubling the current? Wouldn't 12 - 15 amps be sufficient?

Quote Originally Posted by bakoff
    I was reading an article on the Yahoo CNCFoamCutter board for newbies that stated if you are using 4 1amp motors that you should double the amount of current available to 8 amps. If I'm using 3amp motors that would be 24 amps! If the HobbyCNC 4AUPC board sets the max to 3 amps per motor then what's the point of doubling the current? Wouldn't 12 - 15 amps be sufficient?
    4 3A steppers will require at least a 10A power supply. More Amps the better. 24A is NOT necessary. The instructions state at least 60% of the TOTAL current draw as a recommendation.

Dave Rigotti
    HobbyCNC.com

What would happen if you connected a NEMA 450 oz/in stepper rated at 5amps to the hobbycnc kit. Would it work but with less torque? Or would it burn up and self-destruct?

Quote Originally Posted by TimKoene
    What would happen if you connected a NEMA 450 oz/in stepper rated at 5amps to the hobbycnc kit. Would it work but with less torque? Or would it burn up and self-destruct?
    Tim,
    Kinda dumb to connect 450oz-in steppers at only 3A. The torque will be reduced the same percentage yielding only @270oz-in. Really not an ideal system. You can..but like I said...not ideal. Use lotsa cooling air and a heatsink. Why not just get Geckos for the 5 Ampers and be done with it?

Dave Rigotti
    HobbyCNC.com

I know, but after I ordered and paid for the hobbycnc kit (which should be enroute as we speak) I hit a solid goldmine at work! I found two 50" new IKO 25mm rails with 2 bearings each, two 50" THKballscrews with end mounts and couplings. One has a 150 oz/in stepper, the other had a whopping big 450 oz/in stepper, both NEMA-34. I also found 4 45 inch 25mm NSK rails with 2 bearing blocks each. Also two 10" THK SR-15 rails, sadly only with 1 bearing each. I am so happy, it cost me nothing at all, they were going to be tossed away!!!!! I saved them.

I do not want to take apart that beautiful THK ballscrew assembly, so I want to use it as it is untill I can afford a gecko upgrade.

Thank you very much for your reply Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by TimKoene
    I know, but after I ordered and paid for the hobbycnc kit (which should be enroute as we speak) I hit a solid goldmine at work! I found two 50" new IKO 25mm rails with 2 bearings each, two 50" THKballscrews with end mounts and couplings. One has a 150 oz/in stepper, the other had a whopping big 450 oz/in stepper, both NEMA-34. I also found 4 45 inch 25mm NSK rails with 2 bearing blocks each. Also two 10" THK SR-15 rails, sadly only with 1 bearing each. I am so happy, it cost me nothing at all, they were going to be tossed away!!!!! I saved them.

I do not want to take apart that beautiful THK ballscrew assembly, so I want to use it as it is untill I can afford a gecko upgrade.

Thank you very much for your reply Dave!
    Well Sh!t! Free is never dumb! Have Fun!

Dave Rigotti
    HobbyCNC.com