588,532 active members*
8,303 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

7" Touch screen?

Hi all,

I have a question I'm throwing out there about possibly setting up a 7" touchscreen as sort of a pendant. The reason for this is now I have 3 different machines but I have my keyboard and monitor in a permanent cabinet at one side of my (very small) shop.

The issue is that my very (small) shop has a 90 degree wall in relation to where my monitor setup is, so I can't see anything from the latest machine I built. So I'm thinking, why not have every Mach screen right at my fingertips by attaching a video right on my pendant so I can take advantage of everything in a portable device?

This is the unit I'd think would perfectly. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170477770415&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Does anyone have any warnings or thoughts about doing this? I realize there's a good chance that I'd have to make a custom screen set but that just adds to the "fun"

Thanks so much, as always-
    Dave
    Dave->..

Looks pretty cool, kind of small, but very portable. Just make sure you can get a cord long enough to tote through the VERY small shop.

Did you buy it? If so, do you have any info to report?

Thanks
    brouser1

No, not as of yet. Not sure this will be the route I'm taking.

Dave
    Dave->..

fretsman

The 7" would be to small I have the 9" & is great but you can't get to the bottom of 2 or 3 of the pull down config files to close them they need to be changed & all would be good I think the 10" or 12" would be the best, But the 9" does work & is very good
    Mactec54

Thanks for the tips and that's very interesting info you've given me.

I would have thought setting it to the standard resolution of the monitor, it would alleviate that but it's good to know that it doesn't.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave->..

I agree that it may be too small. I started with a 15" then to 17" and currently on a 19" EloTouch and that seems to be the optimum size. If you were interested in consolidating your systems to save space you could incorporate a 3 or 4 port KVM switch. You could also incorporate a standard handheld jog/shuttle and KVM. Just a thought without knowing more about your system.

Actually I think what I'm going to end up doing is building a mobile controller much like this with a 19" screen:

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ConsoleProject.jpg  
    Dave->..