587,524 active members*
3,360 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > 7x10 ballscrew - mini lathe cnc conversion

7x10 ballscrew - mini lathe cnc conversion

Can anyone recommend me ballscrew brands and model numbers for my 7x10 mini lathe (sieg c2) Z and X axes.

I wonder how can anyone fit a ballscrew with ballnut under the the cross slide of such small size. Must be miniature ballscrew...

Is there a site with similar cnc conversions, videos etc.

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by tbilalis View Post
    I wonder how can anyone fit a ballscrew with ballnut under the the cross slide of such small size.
    Looking at the post date I guess I am a bit late with this, but see this thread.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...t=63621&page=2

ballscrew replacement

there are 2 class of ball screw, c and h. C is low end with some backlash, H is much more precise. The differance in price is steep, usually 4-5 times the price, but you get what you pay for. A good alternative to a ballscrew for sonething this size is a multistart leadscrew (not acme threads) good quality screws will have a trapazodial design and are avaiable with anti-backlash nuts which is it's most basic forn 2 opposing nuts with a tensioner and spring. companies such as danaher automation, ezcnc, kerk, and nook are good sources. a great quality leadscrew will be muchmore cost effective than a ballscrew, less maintaince, and no chance of sending hundreds of bearings flying out the end of the ballnut. good quality lead screws are only about 10% less efficent than a ballscrew too.

i have almost finished my c2 lathe conversion

hello everybody!

this is my very first post.

I´m working on a cnc conversion on a sieg c2 mini lathe for educational/training purposes

I have mounted X ad Z ballscrews from homeshopcnc.com, servos and drives from IMservice, breakout board from probotix, and Im evaluating turbocnc that actualy I use in a huge pratt & withney jigborer, and EMC2.

please coment, in few day I will publish some photos.

greetings from México.