588,306 active members*
4,931 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

8wire stepper question?

Hi all.

I am in the midst of converting a bridgeport mill over to mach3, campbell board, and larkens.

Is it crucial to get the phase "I guess you would call it” correct when wiring the motors?

The X+Y motors match the info I found for geckos which should be the same for larkens:
    Gecko pin to sigma motor pin look good as far as what connections have continuity.
    3to3+6
    4to5+1
    5to4+8
    6to7+2

Now the z motor looks Identical but the wire configuration, numbering and colors are different. I have info for superior motors but it doesn’t match that either.

Is there a way of telling which ends of the coils I should join? I have found which coils are of the same phase by shorting individual coils and turning the motor by hand. If opposite coils are shorted the motor has a fairly even resistance if coils of the same phase are shorted their is a definite pulse resistance when turning. This doesn’t tell me which ends of the coils should be connected, or does it matter, I’m guessing it will. Maybe a small battry can be used?
    Can the drive be damaged if the coils are paired correctly but the wrong ends are connected? I can take picks if needed.

Thanks for any info.
    Stephen

For a parallel connection, the quick answer is to just guess. Connect the coils to each other, but don't connect them to the drive. If you get them right, the motor will turn by hand just as easy as it does with no wires connected. If you have any pairs reversed, the motor will be harder to turn.

Hey that sounds like a great idea. I was amazed how much resistance there is with one winding shorted.
    Thanks a bunch Jeffs555
    Stephen