588,624 active members*
5,425 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

9 x 20 Leadscrew

Ever since I received my Harbor Freight I've been extremely carefull on what I do and am ready to ask questions.
    I would like to disable the lead screw when not in use my guess is that in order to do this I would have to do the following. (1)Disengage the quick change lever from any of it's nine positions and (2)allow it to drop to it's lowest position.

I would assume that this puts the gear box in neutral. Also,how would you remove the front cover of the gear box? I removed the three cap screws and was not able to budge it can someone comment.
    Thanks

John

in order to disable the lead screw you need to add a tumbler reverse mechanism. this isn't that hard to do. and to remove the front cover just yank on it. there are a couple of locating pins that its stuck on and maybe the paint is holding it on as well.

9x20 leadscrew disengagement

john,

I have a 9x20 so here are your choices

1 you can pull down the handle on the quick change gear box to the down
    position and this will stop the leadscrew from turning, but the some of the gears in the gear box will still rotate.

2 If you want to save ware and tare as I did, on those gears and stop them from turning when you dont need them you can build a reverse tumbler.

3 here are the plans to build reverse tumbler, you will need to make some bushings drill some holes in a 1/4 in steel or aluminum plate and cut the plate to fit the space and be sure you can measure very good.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/9x20Lathe2/ join free look under files tumbler reverse modifications Good Luck Cap.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/9x20Lathe/files/
    Don't Give Up The Ship !!!