587,439 active members*
3,506 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > 9x20 hand wheel graduated dial replacment or mod

9x20 hand wheel graduated dial replacment or mod

I have been searching and I have not found a mod or a replacement for the stock graduated dials on the cross slide hand wheel or the compound hand wheel...
    my issue is the dial spinning around from vibration or by using the handwheel.
    i drilled and tapped a set screw to try and fix this but on the cross slide it seems to bind the motion if it is tight enough to lock the dial in place....

I have seen the bearing mods which I would like to do but the dials are baffling me. this mabye just my inexperience on how to use them but i just feel that there should be a better system for these..... has any one fixed this problem and or know where I can find a modification for them???

thank you in advance......

Sebashtion H.

There's got to be some kind of friction clutch in there, binding it to the handle. Maybe add a wave washer to it, or tighten up the nut that holds the handle on. I've replaced the wave washers on adjustable tooling (like mag bases for indicators) with very good results.
    Wen I was young, I spent most of my money on fast women, slow horses, and cheap booze. The rest of it I just wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by knudsen View Post
    There's got to be some kind of friction clutch in there, binding it to the handle. Maybe add a wave washer to it, or tighten up the nut that holds the handle on. I've replaced the wave washers on adjustable tooling (like mag bases for indicators) with very good results.
    I will try the washer.... I tightened the nut but that just made the cross slide harder to move.... I am going to do the bearing mod to both the cross slide and the compound but that does not help the dial.... that I know of.....
    but untill then just needed the dials to not spin so freely.....

Sebashtion H.

Quote Originally Posted by emh114 View Post
    I will try the washer.... I tightened the nut but that just made the cross slide harder to move.... I am going to do the bearing mod to both the cross slide and the compound but that does not help the dial.... that I know of.....
    but untill then just needed the dials to not spin so freely.....

Sebashtion H.
    washer worked thanks again....

sebashtion H.