587,999 active members*
2,548 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: A cnc clock

Page 3 of 4 1234
    Originally posted by FourStroke
    Hey Paul
    I'm glad you sold me the cnc router table>I'm finding a lot of interesting stuff on this site to try it out on.

Frank

Ref::

CNCadmin
    Administrator/Owner

Now I wish I did'nt sell my CNC router table.

& Proprieter
    I'd still rather be flying!

Glad it's working out, keep us updated I want to see what your cutting with it.

balsaman,

It'll be a year next month that you finished your clock.

How well does it keep time?
    How well has it help up?
    Is the MDF dry yet?
    --
    Dan

Well,

The MDF "pawl" which is the ratchet mechanism that allows the clock to be wound up lost it's spring tension and was allowing the weight to suddenly drop to the floor. In the interest of safety I took it down untill I could cut a new pawl from a more suitable material (maybe quality plywood). I havent cut one yet, so it was only in operation for a couple months.

I had plans to cut another complete clock from hardwood or plywood but that hasn't happened either....maybe I should spend less time posting and more time "doing".

Sorry I can't give you a better answer.

E
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

Hello,

But DURING that two months, how well did it keep time?

Thank you in advance,

Ballendo

Originally posted by balsaman
    Well,

The MDF "pawl" which is the ratchet mechanism that allows the clock to be wound up lost it's spring tension and was allowing the weight to suddenly drop to the floor. In the interest of safety I took it down untill I could cut a new pawl from a more suitable material (maybe quality plywood). I havent cut one yet, so it was only in operation for a couple months.

I had plans to cut another complete clock from hardwood or plywood but that hasn't happened either....maybe I should spend less time posting and more time "doing".

Sorry I can't give you a better answer.

E

Are there CAD files that come with these clocks and how much of the parts can be machined using the CAD files? How much for the complete plans and cad files? Are there any advantages to making them out of aluminum?

Thanks,

Balsaman,
    What size are the large gears with the curved spokes?
    and what size cutter do you do the teeth with to get into the root of the tooth ?

Very nice work BTW, I'm pleased to see you recycling scraps of expensive MDF, that stuff doesn't grow on trees.

John S.

The bigger gears are ~6" diameter. All cut from the free cad files with a 1/8" carbide endmill. The face numerals used a 1/16" endmill.

E

Balsaman,

Maybe you missed my message above...

How well did the clock keep time during the month or so it was hanging?

Thank you in advance,

Ballendo

P.S. What did you use for the shafts? Dowel? Any special species or?

The bigger gears are ~6" diameter. All cut from the free cad files with a 1/8" carbide endmill. The face numerals used a 1/16" endmill.

E

It kept time within a few minutes per 8 hours. It needed to be wound every 8 hours, so it rarely got wound, unless someone wanted to see that it really worked. It was more of a display piece (an MDF one at that..). Since it rarely was wound, I never spent any time playing with the length of the pendulum, which is what adjusts it's speed, so to speak.

The shafts were just 1/4" dowel from the hardware store. If I did it again (I will), I will use brass rod for shafts, and probably brass sleeves as well where sleeves are used. I used clear plastic tubing for sleeves on this one. The sleeves allow several gears to run independantly on one shaft.

E

Thank you for the reply!

What type of plastic?

Ballendo

It kept time within a few minutes per 8 hours. It needed to be wound every 8 hours, so it rarely got wound, unless someone wanted to see that it really worked. It was more of a display piece (an MDF one at that..). Since it rarely was wound, I never spent any time playing with the length of the pendulum, which is what adjusts it's speed, so to speak.

The shafts were just 1/4" dowel from the hardware store. If I did it again (I will), I will use brass rod for shafts, and probably brass sleeves as well where sleeves are used. I used clear plastic tubing for sleeves on this one. The sleeves allow several gears to run independantly on one shaft.

E

Cut Gears from AutoCad

Hi,
    I' desing my own Clock from AutoCad. Would you main tell me about differents possibilities to cut gear in metal or wood.
    I would need to be able to have a cheap solution. It's possible.
    What kind of brad and model advises me ?

It was a hard clear plastic tubing used for a sightglass for checking the fluid level of a tank. It was about 9/32" ID. Sorry, I have no other info.

If you go to a hobby store, you can find brass tubing in ID's going up in 1/32" increments for a few dollars for 12" lenghts. That is what I will use on my next clock.

jzyfcy,

I am not sure I understand your question. It's going to be easier and cheaper to cut one from wood.

E

Where can I download the cad files to make these clocks?

I am interested in milling this clock as my first CNC project. I just downloaded the DXF files. However, the dxf files are all 2D graphs. How do you convert the 2D drawings into 3D models (e.g. extrude)? I am using Solidworks and PowerMill or VisualMill. Can someone show me how this can be done?

Georgebarr these do not need to be 3D to machine, unless you wanted to just view the parts in 3D. Unfortunately every drawing program has it’s own set of guidelines to modeling of which extruding is one of them, in my software either the entity must be a solid or surface to extrude. Every part has it’s own unique requirements and method to convert to a solid as well.

Ken

I just used the 2D drawings, and cut them from flat stock.

Eric

balsama, impressive piece of work.

Where did you locate the roman numeral font? , been looking all over and cannot find them.

Thanks
    Ken

How did you hold the material on the cutting surface? Spray adhesive? I may have missed it in the read through. If you used the adhesive, how did you get it off? I commonly user 3m sprays on aluminum and carbon sheet, and clean it with laquer. Seems like that wouldn't be good on ply or MDF. Thanks.

I think I just drew the roman numerals by hand. I held the material with bolts. The gears "came loose" when finishing the cut. The littlest gears were "drilled" for the shaft first, bolted thru the shaft hole, then the outside was cut.

Recently I was checking out some software samples and saw an octogon clock face with roman numerals and can not remember where this was. Would like to try it in my CNC mill. Any help is appreciated.

Page 3 of 4 1234