587,227 active members*
3,518 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

A few Linux questions

Hello,
    I have installed Ubuntu Linux CNC on an old 8200 Dell computer 32 bit machine, It was very slow to install, I am wondering if this is normal?
    I have Linux cnc installed but the g code I load wont run, gives an error in line 3, does it take a different post processor from the cam program? I am using Sprutcam to generate the g code file and it is the post processor for the Tormach 1100 milling machine.

The program runs very slowly, I am wondering if it is because its an old 32 bit machine?
    I do not have it connected to the Tormach, I am just trying to run the program on the computer, and know absolutely nothing about Linux CNC.

any insight, hints into this appreciated...
    mike sr

That is a slower machine, so it will be slow, but should run I think. Being a laptop, it may have problems running a real machine with the parallel port, but that is not the case here.(yet) LinuxCNC is a 32 bit program, so no problem there, some have even reported problems with newer 64-bit distro installs. If you installed from LinuxCNC CD (BDI) it should work.

You need to post at least the first few lines of g-code where the error is and what the error is for help with the error.
    Some machines (Tormach maybe?) use non-standard codes for some things that LinuxCNC will not know.

Quote Originally Posted by lwill View Post
    That is a slower machine, so it will be slow, but should run I think. Being a laptop, it may have problems running a real machine with the parallel port, but that is not the case here.(yet) LinuxCNC is a 32 bit program, so no problem there, some have even reported problems with newer 64-bit distro installs. If you installed from LinuxCNC CD (BDI) it should work.

You need to post at least the first few lines of g-code where the error is and what the error is for help with the error.
    Some machines (Tormach maybe?) use non-standard codes for some things that LinuxCNC will not know.
    The 8200 is a desktop machine, an old one though.

I will check out the error code and post the g code here in the next few days.

I wonder if the Ubuntu is running realtime is why it seems slower than windows maybe?
    I want to try Linux as I have a few problems running Mach 3 and Windows XP.

thanks for the info..
    mike sr

You really need to run a latency test on that computer to see how well it will work with LinuxCNC. In a terminal, type:

latency-test

That will give you the numbers to see how well it will work. I have a Dell 4800 that is slower than slow, but has decent latency numbers. I have seen brand new computers that can't be used because of too high latency. I do run my LinuxCNC computer dedicated to the CNC table for the most part. There might be a few times I had to modify a part on the fly, but not that often.

Those gcode lines would be good to see. That might be something different all together.

latency is about 9000, I set it to 10,000.

I dont have the computer connected to the mill, its gotta warm up a bit for that, and its under the machine. Im thinking a longer printer cable so I can mount it outside on a shelf.

At my age getting under the machine is a real bear!

This is a different computer (linux), the machine computer runs Mach 3 and win xp, and I didnt want to disconnect it till I get this one working but maybe thats not possible without connecting it to the machine??
    mike sr

You don't say what version of Linuxcnc you have. On older PC's Hardy Heron sometimes works better.

32 bit is great for Linuxcnc, hardly any 64 bit PC's are suitable for it. You also don't mention RAM,

the more the better.

I will have to check but I believe 256 mb of ram

10.4 ubuntu 2.5 linux cnc

I just downloaded and installed it a few days ago.
    mike sr

The computer has 2 memory sticks in it marked 128/4

there are 2 that arent marked.( empty slot cards)

I would guess the problem (slow operation) I am seeing is not enough memory?

I am guessing I only have 256 mb?

I installed ubuntu with windows xp, but it wont let me start windows now (blue error screen) so I cant access system to see how much memory is listed.
    There is memory available for about 30 dollars for 2 gig, is that enough? These are 4 sticks of 512 mb.

Thanks for your patience.
    mike sr

You can check the memory with the System Monitor (it's under the System tab).
    At 256MB Ubuntu 10.04 will be slooow, really it's not Ubuntu dragging, It's the Gnome desktop. It may help some to open the "appearance' preferences and shut off visual effects (or maybe not).
    The real solution is more ram. Shouldn't be hard to salvage somewhere ?

The GOOD NEWS is 9000 is a real good number for latency. It's a keeper.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

For post processor generic Fanuc will get you close. It may throw in a letter "O" or some other detail that needs to be edited.

btw: the latency test is meant to be run while 'torturing' the machine (I believe that's the term used in the manual)
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

I will get some memory on order.

thanks guys..
    mike sr

Memory would be a good thing to get. 9000 is a great latency number - The longer you can run the test, the better. There are systems that may have a quirk once in awhile so the test needs to run longer in an attempt to catch it in case you are running gcode that would be affected through one of these quirks. The 4800 Dell I tested was as high as 14,000 after running glxgears, downloading a large file while opening/moving windows and then running over night.

Fan cycling, sleep mode, hibernating and automatic updates affect latency.

Actually everything your PC is programmed to do automatically will affect it.

I installed 2 gig of memory on this machine, it did speed it up quite a bit.

I still cant get it to run a g code program (Tormach post) without the error message, this may be because it isnt connected to the machine though.

Maybe it wont run if it isnt connected to the milling machine? I wanted to get it set up and running on this computer before changing this computer out with the one in the machine that has Windows XP and Mach 3 on it.

The latency is less than 15000, if I conect to the internet and let it run for awhile it goes as high as 24600 watching videos, hopefully this will work ok.
    mike sr

Can you post the G code file (or the part that errors out)? The post may need to be tweaked to make LinuxCNC happy. I would use the 24,600 number when calculating the settings in the config files. That latency is probably at the end range of a optimal system, but your motor drivers, microstep settings and motion hardware help determine how do-able the setup will be.

I will post the code hopefully from that computer, I would like a photo of the error message as well, I tried editing the file and after removing several lines I still get an error message, different from the first one though.
    mike sr

Re: A few Linux questions

Another question, linux 2.4, ubuntu 10.4, Dell 8200 desktop computer, 2 gb ram. I get error codes trying to run the post that Sprutcam posts, I am wondering if this is normal or do I need to edit the posts? This computer is not connected to the machine yet, maybe this could be the problem?

Another question is will the config file for the series 2 Tormach which I have, work with the series 3 or do I need to up date that as well?

any insight on this is appreciated.
    mike sr