588,190 active members*
4,310 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

A few words on my new Chinese laser (long)

I bought a laser from a chinese company about 2 months ago and am quite surprised by the results. We had to resolve a few accuracy issues with the import export documents while the laser was in transit to Europe but the company was very helpful in originating and altering what was required. The company took a week longer to complete the laser than they originally said.

The packing crate was plywood and well constructed and the machine was well packed. The metal casework is quite "industrial" and and the fit and finish is not the best I have seen but it's mostly a cosmetic problem and I expect helps to keep costs down. As for the CNC components, rails and micro-stepper motors; the quality is high. The rails are made in Taiwan and the motors and other mechanical components are of a high quality. The main issue, is the "Chinglish" manuals which ar a little rough but, if you read them carefully you can understand what is being said. It comes with a well made, not too noisy extractor blower, a compressor for the air assist and a submersable pump for water cooling. All seem to be of reasonably good quality and have proved, so far, to operate reliably. I did have a small water leak in the water pressure sensor, but I reseated the threads and it is fine now.

The glass laser tube was not installed when it came and required us to install it, solder the leads and align the laser. It's quite demanding and, if I had looked at the supplied video disk first, it would have been a lot easier. Once aligned, it remains true so far.

The software is not in the form of a windows print driver. It's either a standalone program they supply which imports a variety of vector or bmp files or installs as a plugin to Corel 11 or 12 or autocad 2006 (or 2004 i expect) The cutting and engraving quality is very good and can be adjusted through a range of settings in the software. ONce the file is ripped by their software it is sent to the laser via a USB connection. It all works well with no glitches except the program sometimes closes when trying to import .ai files. I expect this has something to do with the .ai export settings because the same file will import the 2nd time.

As for support, the company has English speaking contact people and has assigned one to us and she's very helpful in passing our questions to their technical people and they usually repond in one to 3 days.

I also bought the rotary attachment which is quite robust and heavy and seems, if anything, a little over engineered. It works well but we didn't know how to adjust the ratio of the x axis to y output so were initialy adjusting the graphic in Corel. The company has since given us instructions on where to compensate in the software.

All in all, I am quite satisfied with the performance of the machine. I did however order an extra Laser tube in case and lens and mirror kit. I was initially concerned about the build quality but after using it for 2 months it has proved to be a robust industrial quality machine for 25% of a US or European made machine. Granted the machine is not as sophisticated but for our purposes which include cutting and engraving acrylic (up to 8mm in one pass) and photo engraving on granite and anodized aluminium, I definitely couldn't justify the exra capital outlay.

Now maybe in 5 years when a Universal Laser would still be humming along problem free and mine develops mechanical problems i may change my mind. But with motors, rails, rollers and belts being so simple to change, I can forsee repairing this machine before laying out $25k plus for a similar sized level one laser.

This has been our experience and if you have question about our experience, I would be glad to reply

which company did you buy laser engraver from? what engraving size is it?

Jinan Hengxing Computer Equipment Co. (Rabbit Laser)

The machine has a 60cm x 90cm worktable size with a 60W tube. There is a lot of space around the table in the machine and it has pass through ability.

Can you tell us the cost?

Can you tell us the cost of this system?

-James Leonard
    James Leonard - www.DragonCNC.com - www.LeonardCNCSoftware.com - www.CorelDRAWCadCam.com - www.LeonardMusicalInstruments.com

Price

It's better to contact the company and ask for a Proforma Invoice or price list. Suffice it to said that their price was better than 4 or 5 other Chinese companies for the same 60cm x 90cm bed and 60W laser. Only one other seemed to come close but I could hardly understand their emails because the English was so bad.

millennium07

Hi,

1. Are you using the HX6090SE with the water chiller or normal submersible water pump.

2. How low can you set your 60 w laser.

3. Did you try wood engraving, and how deep.

4. Are you satisfied with the engraving and cutting of acryllic, especially smooth edge cutting.

5. Is your machine running smoothly since the time you have bought.

6. Laser Tube life is 1500 hours. Does this mean running it 100% or 50% ?

Look forward to receiving your valuable input. Thanx

@ Millennium07

Hi millennium07. Unfortunately, I sold the machine about 10 months ago to a business in Romania. As far as I know it's still in operation. I'm not in that business anymore.
    I used a water pump without a chiller and it never overheated even in 35 degC summer. Was able to set laser to almost zero. The cutting on acrylic was fine up to about 8mm. I never really used thicker. The laser/mirror alignment needs to be spot on and it will work fine. Take time adjusting it. I never ran the tube over 95%. I think it stresses the power supply or something like that. As far as I know the original tube is still working but I never really reached the max time.

Hope it helps. David