587,163 active members*
3,811 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

A good sized bench mill?

Im starting to feel spoiled by the bridgeport i use at my school....
    Its ultra smooth, chatterless cuts. When I use my Micro mill i get frustrated often.
    The mill is almost entirely CNC'ed, only lacks a power supply now. IM thinking about selling it, scary enough. I think i might want a larger mill now, something that is 300+ pounds. I dont expect a bridgeport, but a little more contact area with gibs and overall bulk is nice. So im looking for some recommendations, there are a few parameters....
    Must not exceed 1000 dollars
    Mill must now weigh over 400 pounds. I think something 300-400 pounds will have what I am after.
    ANy recommendations.

Actually I was looking at the x3. HOw much of a difference would I notice with the X3?

Check this link http://www.heli-web.com/link-lst.html?eng=1&lk=105. It has several sites that offer a lot of insight on the X3 model. I just got mine so I will not make too many comments.
    I think you will like it. It is around 360 pounds, square column, very rigid and sells for less that 1000.00. If you drive to Louisiana it is only 850.00.
    Jose.
    SuperDAD

Thanks for the reply. It really looks like the best thing there is. Grizzly and HF sell their own mills for the same price range, but they are round column and 5-600 pounds. Thats just more than i can handle in my state of life, maybe in 15 years I will reconsider. But the X3 seems like a nice balance between *reasonable* portability and heft.
    Driving to Louisiana is not really an option, I live in New hampshire.