587,892 active members*
3,623 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Rhino 3D > a very lofty question

a very lofty question

I'm a noob, so i'll just get that out of the way. my question for you rhino users is how do you select individual wires in a wireframe model and make them into a group? I want to loft a portion of a cylider that has been cut into another cylider that has been cut. I want the two cut faces to loft together., but when I select the loft comand it forces me to select individual wires to loft. I want to be able to select one group of wires (my cut surface) to loft into my other "group" of wires (my other cut surface). this seems like it would be a simple straight forward command? any help would be appreciated

senor j can you do a screen shot and post it here so we could see what you are wanting?

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

If I'm understanding your question, you'll want to choose Curve>Curve from Objects>Extract Isocurve.

If you just want to join the curves it's under edit>join or ctrl+J. Many of the surfaces commands need to have joined geometry.

Without seeing a posting of what you are trying to do, it's hard to answer this. As suggested, joining the curves will work. Grouping is also a handy way to organize objects, but in the case of the loft command, it does not respect the group (you will need to pick each curve). There is also some nifty things you can do with control points.

Post a jpeg and we will be more specific.

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I found out what you have to do is go curve>curvefromobject>>duplicate edge
    then select each edge and then press enter, then hit join curve while the new curves are still highlighted and that will join them all into one curve that can then be lofted.

It's even easier than that. Make a button, or an alias with this in it:

!Join Crv

Now all you have to do is pick the surface edges, and it will automatically extract an edge and join a group of edges.

By typing crv after the join command it will constrain it to select curves only. That works for more commands too, like trim for example.

Look here for more tips:

http://en.wiki.mcneel.com/default.as...enSecrets.html

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)