587,202 active members*
2,808 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: AB servos

AB servos

Ok i got my questions answered somewhat in the other forum, but I need some results. Trust me guys I have looked high and low for some of this stuff, but am getting no where. I have a 4 AB servos, stats:

5.5 A continuous
    30 A peak
    Torque Stall 3.1 lb/in
    max speed 5000 rpm
    7.4 v/k rpm
    1000 ppr encoder, with 9 wires.

2 Questions:

1. The encoders are incremental optical encoders, and have 9 wires, like so:

White: DC input 5 V DC
    Black: DC return
    Red: Channel A
    Violet: Channel A_
    Green: Channel B
    Blue: Channel B_
    Yellow: Channel Z
    Orange: Channel Z_
    Shield: Floating

How would I wire these to a Gecko 320 Servo Drive? Can I even wire it at all?

2. I want to make a light to medium duty accurate cnc machine, accurate enough to do pcb work, but strong enough to do aluminum. Can these servos and drives drive it? Will I need timing belts?

I have all the plans and stuff drawn out and will definitely post it when I get it done.

Thanks and any help will be greatly appreciated

John

Well, the encoders will work fine with the Geckos but the motors only make ~50oz-in max, that will not be enought for any real machine work maybe just enoght for PCB routing with a small light frame. You can take the ecoders off and buy other bigger motors that don't have encoders (that way they sell for less) and use the encoders you have.
    Dennis

......Although with 5000rpm there is quite a bit of room for gearing, which will increase torque proportionately.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Yeah that is what I wanted to do, get some timing pulley's and put a 2 to 1 gearing ratio on them. What is the best ratio you guys would use if i wanted to be doing light aluminum work with a homebuilt?

what you can do is find out the maximum feed rate you require, this will determine the maximum rpm required to achieve this, from this the maximum reduction ratio will be known.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

These will never work...unless you just want to polish the aluminum......I think that the stall torques is incorrect given the peak amps......double check the data.

how would you wire the
    a
    a-
    b
    and so forth my g320 have like enc+ enc- arm+ arm-