588,130 active members*
5,114 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

About fed up with mitsubishi drives

OK, I've about had it with mitsubishi drive failures on our mazak machines.

I've been at my current job for just a year now and I've replaced 2 drives and 2 IPM's.

3:30 today and the machine that just started the classic rush job due in the newyear and whatdaya know, X axis drive dies. That's #5 in one year with only 8 mazaks in the shop.

Is this common to mazaks. I'd think it's maybe a lemon machine but 4 of our machines have been so afflicted this year.

This summer I even went through the trouble of plumbing additonal filtered cooling to the heat sink shrouds on all the mills and two of the lathes.

I'm getting sick of replacing drives!!!

Mike

There must be something else going on there. Is your incomming three phase higher than normal?
    What controllers are they?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

The controlls are all fusion 640's. I don't know if the power supply is correct and I don't have the authority to have it tested by a knowledgable person.

I suppose the line supply could be causing problems. I'll look into this and suggest some testing beyond testing line voltage as we have done this and during momentary testing all seems fine.

One thing I know though is we are reaching the limit of power avalable to the shop without replacing the transformers feeding the building.

We just added a Puma 400 lathe and power has become scarce although the power guys tell us all is ok.

This is the only failure since adding the new machine.

Mike

Hey Mike,

I have/had a few machines in my shop, including Mazaks. While I agree they have some issues, it does sound suspiciously like a power problem. I had similar issues years ago in another building due to a lack of power, and changes made in the way that BC Hydro monitored and controlled power. It is difficult to measure, but it is significant. I would bet it's a problem with intermittent but power irregularities caused by different loads during the day.

Fish

Update,

Feeling a bit silly but after closer inpection of the alarm code the problem turned out to be a loose encoder or servo cable, not sure which as both were loose.

Voltage at the machine is 217-220.

All is now good.