588,147 active members*
6,372 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

ABS routing problems

Hi Guys !

Don't laugh, but I'm having problems routing simple ABS. The cutter clogs up (melts) the ABS and breaks the cutter. I've varied spindle speeds, feedrates, cutting depths without any luck. I used a 2 flute endmill and got it buggered up in no time. Best result so far was with a 3mm single flute cutter, but I need to cut some profiles with a 2mm tool.

Haven't had any problems cutting any other plastics or allu.

Any (working) advice will be appreciated

Thanks
    Fanie

I cut some ABS on my BP I used a .25 endmill and ~800RPM with coolant cut pretty good at ~12 IPM.

Dennis
    Dennis

Generally mills for ABS have a different tooth angle....speak to your plastic supplier.....they usually have the cutters on their shelves...

I agree with ViperTX, Proper tooling makes a world of difference. Onsrud offers many different router bits for plastic routing.

I have had good success with ABS etc.
    Firstly I have found that the rotation speed on a 3mm cutter needs to be about 9000 rpm, ( I tried fast at 18K and all it did was melt everything back together ) secondly use an upcut spiral, downcuts clog badly " unless" you take lighter cuts ie 2mm deep.
    Set the feed to about 3500mm per minute and play with the dash pot controller to go slower or a bit faster, start on a bit of scrap, remember hot tools break easier, but it is normally the speed of the feed that causes most breakage.
    I also use an airblast cooler, look up exair on the web or basically connect a fine nozzle jet to your air supply and adjust it to continiously blow away the chips and cool the bit.
    Or buy a mist spray unit.
    Hope this helps
    chris f

Hey Fanie

We are cutting ABS all the time and found that with a (1/8") flat 2 flute 7000 rpm 75 ipm .010 step 50% across works pretty good. Remember if you plunge on the part you will load the part with heat and will get a blob of melted plastic on the end of your tool, Also an air plast to remove the chips helps.