585,712 active members*
4,099 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Absolute newbie question: Stepper motor driver differences

Absolute newbie question: Stepper motor driver differences

I am an absolute newbie with motors/control. I just ordered an Arduino kit, a stepper motor + driver, just to jump into a new hobby arena starting with a toy project. I have a Trinamic bipolar stepper motor, 3.1Nm, 2.8A, and I need a driver. Now, there are a lot to choose from, and they look very different even with similar specs as far as I can tell. I went for this, mainly because it was relatively cheap and available:

https://www.trinamic.com/products/mo...ils/tmcm-1110/

I don't need the motion control, as I will drive it from the Arduino. Both motor/driver current is "rated" 2.8A, and I will supply 24V. Question: I see other drivers have much larger transistors/heatsinks. The one above looks very "small". Am I missing some vital spec info here? Will this driver not drive the motor to the max torque? I'm looking for a probably simple answer from you experts. I can hear the sighs from here. :-) Thanks!

Joe
    M.Sc. electronics, OB/gyn consultant
    Norway

Re: Absolute newbie question: Stepper motor driver differences

I can suggest HobbyCNC.com
    WoodWorkerB
    HobbyCNC.com, WoodWorkerB.com

I am not an expert in motors/drives in any way. If nothing else I will bump this thread to get more eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nersveen View Post
    I went for this, mainly because it was relatively cheap and available:
    https://www.trinamic.com/products/mo...ils/tmcm-1110/
    That's not relatively cheap if you just need step/direction. It sounds like the purchase has been done.
    I don't need the motion control, as I will drive it from the Arduino.
    Maybe it has some other features you need other than the motion control ? To simply drive a motor from another motion control this thing is overkill.
    I see other drivers have much larger transistors/heatsinks. The one above looks very "small". Am I missing some vital spec info here?
    Use fans ? Passive cooling may not be enough
    Will this driver not drive the motor to the max torque? I'm looking for a probably simple answer from you experts.
    Again I'm not an expert but here's something. Sections 4 & 7
    https://www.geckodrive.com/support/s...or-basics.html
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Thank you for your replies.

This makes a lot of sense. Funny though, this was *the* cheapest stepper driver on the webshop I bought it from (50 to choose from, priced $100 - $1000).
    Yes, I already bought this one, but there will always be more projects. Maybe I'll check out other suppliers.
    I'll glue some heatsinks to the transistors. :-)
    I'll check out your site suggestions.