588,210 active members*
4,085 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Absolutely and totally new to CNC

Hi Folks
    PLS bare with me when you see my request. oh no no not one of them again, I'm totally new to cnczone, and I know even less about cnc machines, but I don't mind challenges.

Anybody here on the cnczone which have mercy with me, and could try to guide me though the universe of cnc's. Just, where do I have to start??? mainly with; drawing software
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    Stepper motor
    what are between drawing soft ware and stepper motor.

Not to make the challenges to big. I have though to start to build a 10 axis machine, or maybe a 3 axis.

I have a EBMPAPST-ECI 60.75 932 6075 001 51/05 MOTOR, any who know that motor, and if it suitable

Br

Valther

10 axis?!?!? I didnt think there was even such a thing. I would recommend a 3-axis mechine for most applications. The process is normally as follows:
    1) 3D rendering (solidworks, rhino, etc.)
    2) Tool path/g-code (Bob,mesh, cut3D etc.)
    3) CNC controller (mach3)
    4) CNC stepper controller
    5) Cut

Hi gtrplaya101

Thank for your answer, but I still need some more information just have a slight clue about where I have to start to end right.

I have an electrically background, been working in the heavy metal industry(marine elevators) for years, and I have been doing bowling allies too, and my hobby is wood working, so I think I would be able to make the cnc table my self, but I have a gab in the computer/software world.

Are you able to guide my to some suitable links, so I can get started right, my budget have a certain limit.

Valther

Unless you already have some of the software, its prb gonna cost you more then the actual mechine. Seat for 3d modeling is about ~$250 to ~$300, toolpath creator >$200 and Mach 3 is $160. So not to discourage you anything but your looking at about $600 in software to start with. Heres some links:
    Mach3:
    http://www.machsupport.com/
    BobCad:
    http://www.bobcad.com/index.php?sele...icingfulltest2
    Rhino:
    http://www.rhino3d.com/sales/?Region=NA
    Vectric:
    http://www.vectric.com/
    Hope this helps

Thanks again gtrplaya101
    Thanks for the links
    I suppose that it is a cnc subject can be quit complicated, but I have to start some where.

Br

Valther

You are already in the right place. You can read all about software, controllers, machines, etc. right here. Just start reading posts. In the long run you'll read at least 10 useless posts for every one that adds a little good information to your knowledge bank. It can be very tiring, but here you are learning from real experiences which is invaluable. As you gradually learn more, then some of the posts that meant nothing will start to make sense. No one here can just teach you cnc. When you have specific questions this is the place to ask them, and you will get specific and helpful answers.
    Other than that, most questions have already been answered, so enjoy reading and good luck.

Charlie

Xylotex 4 axis

Thanks Charlie
    Just that my eyes are all over.

Is there anybody who knows the Xylotex kit 4 axis, NEMA 23 425 OZ/IN

Is it a good starter kit, it is only 2,5A pr phase, it must be for a minor machine.