588,656 active members*
5,653 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Accurate Small Hole Milling in 15-5 PH Steel

Accurate Small Hole Milling in 15-5 PH Steel

I have an application where i need to mill a 1.6mm diameter hole to a depth of 5mm in a 15-5 PH steel component. The accuracy of the hole is +/- 0.005mm. I have been trying to interpolate using a 1mm endmill which has a flute length of 2mm and the back is relieved. I' am not able to get consistency and each component comes out differently. I use a Deckel Maho machine which is very accurate. Can anyone help me with an alternative process idea or some method where i can get consistency in hole size with my present method ?

Using a Reamer is tough as the positioning accuracy is also very important and a reamer usually takes the drill position so the drill can guide it to wrong position. Just letting you guys know in case somebody thinks of reamer as an option.

Thanks

Drill, interpolate a very small amount undersize to get the position precise, then ream; the reamer will follow the interpolated hole.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Thanks. i was thinking on the same lines but was wondering whether a reamer of this size will work in 42 HRC PH steel. Any recommendation for reamer ?

Carbide Reamers work good.

one other thing you can do if your having problems is use a precision Boring head, you might have to make a bushing to hold a solid carbide boring bar for the boring head as most have small 1/8 shanks. Micro 100 sells boring bars that would work for your application.

if you have a 5/8 dia hole in your boring head you can use hardinge tooling split bushings to hold the bars they make them in all dia and hold boring bars very rigid

Coolant Tester

With boreing heads, I've experienced repeatative success with inserts. Although micro 100 is a total quality product, perhaps inserts are more cost effective.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidtraverse View Post
    With boreing heads, I've experienced repeatative success with inserts. Although micro 100 is a total quality product, perhaps inserts are more cost effective.
    Did you see the hole size at 1.6mm? It'd have to be a special insert, yes?
    +1 on the drill/bore/ream. Just have to be very careful with reamer runout. Carbide, yes; ±.005mm about uses up the +.005mm tolerance the reamer manufacturer usually makes them to. Measure all your reamer carefully!