587,168 active members*
3,275 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > FeatureCAM CAD/CAM > Advantages of FeatureCAM

Advantages of FeatureCAM

Hi All,

We are currently in the process of implementing CAM into the workshop. What a nightmare. So much to choose from. We have a draughting department using SolidWorks. We now want to take this to the CNC machines.

I am not asking for which is better as this is a very personal issue, depending on what you have been used to working. I would like to hear though what features that FeatureCAM has that in your opinion sets it apart for the others.

Which features make it a hassle to use.

We are currently looking at one of the following:-

• FeatureCAM
    • SolidCAM
    • MasterCAM
    • GibbsCAM

Looking at 2.5, 3 and 4 axis milling and lathe options.

Your opinions will be greatly received.

One of the things I think FeatureCAM does better than the rest is quick bolt patterns, bolt circles, pockets and such. You don't even have to draw them. Now, you mentioned that you will be importing solidworks files. Depending on the amount of 2.5D work you are doing, their feature recognition used to be pretty decent as I recall. When 3D software was first intorduced, it was a bit weak at best. However, I am sure they have upgraded that by now.

In any case, here is what I tell all my customers. Have them each come in and import your files and machine from them. Ignore the canned demos they use. They use their files because they have a very ordered way to process them that is so much easier than the next guy's - lol. Evaluate each software's performance based on the same files. You will still be evealuating the tech's expertise, but that will be your support man as well.

As always, I will put in my 2 cents worth, I have used every system you mentioned except solid cam and I keep migrating back to Gibbs. But, the bulk of my work is 2.5D or lathe work so it is a great fit for me. If I were heavy into 3D, I would probably lean a different way. But it is OK for the 3D work I do.

Thank you for your "2 Cents worth". It is interesting that you are still using Gibbs. GibbsCAM was one of the packages that we are also evaluating, FeatureCAM has come out on top at this stage though.

We are a jobbing shop and anything can come through the door to be manufactured. One of the strengths of FeatureCAM is the time from drawing (2D drawings or 3D models) to machine code.

We had the latest version to demo and the 3D side of things handled what we threw at it with ease.

After spending a week talking to people both here in New Zealand and in Australia that are using CAM software in their business as well as trialling various packages I have put a proposal to the board to purchase FeatureCAM.

Now it is just a matter of wait and see if they will go for it.

I would like to thank all those that replied to this request and I greatly appreciate all your input.

Regards,

Neil...

Quote Originally Posted by sld4121 View Post
    One of the things I think FeatureCAM does better than the rest is quick bolt patterns, bolt circles, pockets and such. You don't even have to draw them. Now, you mentioned that you will be importing solidworks files. Depending on the amount of 2.5D work you are doing, their feature recognition used to be pretty decent as I recall. When 3D software was first intorduced, it was a bit weak at best. However, I am sure they have upgraded that by now.

In any case, here is what I tell all my customers. Have them each come in and import your files and machine from them. Ignore the canned demos they use. They use their files because they have a very ordered way to process them that is so much easier than the next guy's - lol. Evaluate each software's performance based on the same files. You will still be evealuating the tech's expertise, but that will be your support man as well.

As always, I will put in my 2 cents worth, I have used every system you mentioned except solid cam and I keep migrating back to Gibbs. But, the bulk of my work is 2.5D or lathe work so it is a great fit for me. If I were heavy into 3D, I would probably lean a different way. But it is OK for the 3D work I do.

I’ve used them all! But I still come back to FeatureCam every time with the same realization that the others have been and still are a waste of my time. That’s the advantages of FeartureCam! But go find out for yourself.:cheers:

Did you already know that "3d and multi-surface milling geometry creation" is the most relative "GAP" or difference between Featurecam vs. Mastercam?. Mastercam is more "ANAL" but in some very complex designs, that's a good thing. However in 2.5d or simpler surface geometry creations ; (Unlike Mastercam) , Featurecam design-to-post time is really quicker, as it creates toolpaths as the features are created. (That's the whole idea of drawing on cad , so that you can actually machine it , DUH!!) Only Mastercam is much more powerful in geometry definition / creation and thus more difficult to incorporate and a "steeper the learning curve". I would buy featurecam for my first auto cad system, its cheaper too right? Then as you become more experienced in Auto cad systems programming , try learning Mastercam and don't buy it until you really know that your company would increase its profits with the more powerful software. It would make alot of common sense to Start with featurecam then decide later to upgrade to mastercam, than to go into the more complex system as your first autocad system. Like being a pilot, start flying with a fixed landing gear, propeller driven, less expensive aircraft , then go take helicopter "lessons", then decide if you need to buy a helicopter to get you where you want to go, because the airplane can't get it.

2X

I have been using FeatureCAM for just a few months. But I have had pretty good results from it. After getting the hang of learning what things like, it does a pretty good job. I have been doing 3D milling for graphite electrodes for the sinker and it does a great job with that. The previous programmer made a (1 pc.) roughing trode from a solid model. It took 24hrs of machine time to get it done, and it was very "choppy". I programmed the finish trodes (2 pcs.) which included drafted angles to a pile of radiusd edges. Everything came out perfect and smooth in 7.5 hrs on the mill for the both. It has been a bit of a battle getting to that point but it's possible.

i am not a "seasoned expert" by any means, but i am a new featurecam user. been using it for mill programming for about a year. before that i was mastercam all-the-way. i honestly prefer featurecam for mill work. there are many benefits. geo creation is lightning fast with featurecam. the only downside i have found is the lack of a "delete duplicates" feature. otherwise, "drawing" in featurecam is way easier and faster. and the biggest benefit in my situation, is no matter how many different set-ups you have on the same part, you only ever need to define your stock one time. no STL files to mess with or making sure all your planes match. just set your UCS and go! and, locating and or defining "zeros" or "origins" is far simpler and, again, faster. there are downsides that come with featurcam though. but nothing that cant be overcome with time and use. it is far more difficult to manipulate tool-path. and there is a steep learning curve to figure it all out. the tool crib is a little cumbersome, but it works. take the time to set your attributes, have paitience to get through that learning curve and you will really like featurecam. you will hate the stock posts though.

on a side note, i have given featurecam a shot on the lathe a few times, but i have yet to finish a single program. i dont know if i just have lathe programming perfectly dialed in mastercam. or, if i just dont like programming the lathe in featurecam. but, i still prefer mastercam hands down there

Advantages of FeatureCAM

Trust me. Don't get involved with Mastercam. You will find after a couple of years you are hostage to there crazy maintenance fees and made up exchange rates not based on anything but increasing profits.

John

Post Update

I just got done with four days of training which included mill, turn, turn/mill and wire. Looking back on what I was doing, I can say I was doing most everything the hard way. There was a new hire in the class who was a great MasterCAM user and by the time we got to the end of the four days he couldn't believe how easy it was. 3d is a breeze too. In our shop we have a Haas VMC, Acra VMC, Daewoo puma 230 with live tooling and sub spindle, Star screw machine and two wire machines. Now one cad package can do everything but a clean Screw machine post, making a program is still very possible but not clean. I am very impressed.

Janos

Featurecam is great on basic milling 2D /2.5D, but there are things I'd improve. One of the biggest things is the dialogs for any form of translating. Mastercam is much better set up in the transform utilites dep't IMHO (very staright forward, also give you options of how to translate using lines and points, just by clicking on them).

If you're just going to intial speed to program, and you're not overly worried about lots of having to use translation and you're willing to relenquish initial control, then Featurecam is my recommendation, at least over Mastercam. Mastercam is more "anal" (and that's already been said on this thread) and it needs more info to do the job, but in the long run, you have more control.

I don't know the first thing about the other 2 packages, so I can't help you there.

Hello All

I am looking into featurecam as well, is there any one that has a manual on it so i can look through to get an idea of the features of the software can do before plunging in with a purchase, or does any one know of a web site where i could down load it.

Thanks in advance

Jeremy.

Ps is there a post processor for biesse machines i have a rover 2.3

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy budgen View Post
    Hello All

I am looking into featurecam as well, is there any one that has a manual on it so i can look through to get an idea of the features of the software can do before plunging in with a purchase, or does any one know of a web site where i could down load it.

Thanks in advance

Jeremy.

Ps is there a post processor for biesse machines i have a rover 2.3
    you can download featurecam straight from thier website. and open, use, and program with it. you just wont be able to save or post anything. it will be in evaluation mode. 7 months after my other post in this thread, im still using and loving it. the only benefit i can admit mastercam has over featurecam is toolpath manipulation. but i have figured out quite a few tricks in that 7 months. and there is no way you can touch the paper to part time of featurecam, with mastercam. if its a shop that runs thousands of the same part day in, day out, and they need to optimize every nanosecond of cycle time to profit. they would probly be better off with mastercam. but for a small shop that does alot of small count runs. or, prototype stuff, featurecam hands down. and multiple fixtures? shoot, you can go from G54, to G54,G55,G56 in about 15seconds.