587,591 active members*
3,852 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Advice on Ball Screw Assemblys

Advice on Ball Screw Assemblys

I am in need of a new X axis Ball Screw Assembly and thought I would ask the members of this Forum if they know of any companies that sell quality Ball Screw assemblies at a reasonable price, that are good quality, and have Zero Backlash.
    The Ball Screw I have is a SFU2005-4 Single Nut Assembly. I've seen some of the Chinese ones on Ebay but I'm somewhat hesitant of purchasing one and end up with dealing with backlash issues.
    Any advice would be great. Thanks,
    Blake

If you want a ground screw with zero backlash out of the package ready to install your going to pay for it no matter what.

The 12" thk 1505 C0 single nut zero backlash screw on my z axis on a router lists for nearly $2000 with the end support bearing block. I got it used for $100 on Ebay and had to design around it.

Any single nut Chinese rolled screw is most likely going to need larger balls installed to get rid of backlash, what size balls is a mystery until you get the screw and try different sizes.

In other words, if you want cheap your going to have to learn how to load a ball nut, it's not terribly hard once you get the hang of it.

Also if you want cheap you have to provide the seller with end machining specs on the screws, which need to be fairly accurate, and make sure the nut and flange will fit into the mills mount.

So what's your time worth in the end? If your time is expensive the screw from Novakon might be cheaper in the long run.

I would pull the balls out of yours, measure them and order replacements, clean everything and reassemble, you might end up with a perfectly useable screw in the end.

Sent from tapatalk

The "expensive" replacement you would get from Novakon is a precision ground ballscrew, not a cheap rolled one. It will both operate more smoothly and quietly, and be considerably more accurate than a cheap Chinese replacement.

You get what you pay for....

Regards,
    Ray L.

I have had good luck with Hi-Win Taiwanese B.S. High quality and reasonably priced.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.