588,197 active members*
4,774 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > CamWorks > Advice needed on 3D surface milling

Unhappy Advice needed on 3D surface milling

Hello fellow machinists!

I've recently been trying to machine a multi-surface feature in camworks. The surface I'm machining is a slightly concave dome shaped surface. I have been using a ball nose cutter but I am having to use very very small step-overs (0.5mm) otherwise my scallop heights are too big and I want as smooth surface finish as possible, instead of a "ripple effect". As you can imagine a step over of 0.5mm-1mm on my hobby CNC takes forever.

My idea (which I hoping will work, please let my know if I'm just being stupid) is to use this type of tool (see link below), I am not sure what the tool is called, if somebody could tell me that would be much appreciated. Tool>>> WEI GUAN-Products R-Type Surface Milling Cutter > RAM(R4)(R5)(R6) R Type Surface Milling Cutter

If I used this type of tool could I increase the size of my stepovers, reduce the scallop/ripple heights and improve the surface finish and machining time?

Also I cannot seem to find that type of tool in camworks, probably doesn't help that I have no idea what its called or much about these types of tools, does it actually exist in camworks and also can this method be done with camworks?

Many many thanks in advance.

John.

I almost forgot to say, the diameter between the rounded insert on this tool is 16mm and will easily fit into where its machining.

Hi John,

The scallop height is a function of the radius on your cutter and the stepover, as I'm sure you've figured out I don't think the cutter you linked to would be any better, as the only thing that matters (as far as scallop height, on a sloped surface cut..) is the radius of the inserts..

Try using as big a ball nose mill as you can fit in the feature you're trying to cut. The bigger the radius, the bigger the stepover you can take for the same scallop height!

I don't think there are that many tricks to 3D milling, it just takes time. Unless you have a fancy VMC with 1200ipm rapids

As far as CamWorks (or any other cam software, for that matter..) that tool would just be defined as a 16mm endmill, which as many flutes as the number of inserts, and a corner radius to match the radius of the inserts.

Hi Tiago,

Thanks for the reply, I'll try the biggest ball nose mill that I can fit in my largest collect.

Thanks for the advice!