588,227 active members*
4,535 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: air casters

air casters

I am looking for a design to make air casters. I am moving a 1200 pound band saw I would like to do this with out a rubber skirt on the casters. I would appreciate any help.

Jack-
    I had seen an "air caster" system that was nothing more than two 2 foot by 8 foot pieces of plywood with perforated vinyl sheet (looked like pleather seat material) stapled and sealed to one side. There was a 3" PVC fitting on each end, and each had a flexible hose connected to two industrial vacuums set on "blow". It was a high volume low-pressure system, and the most impressive part is that it moved a machine weighing in excess of 20,000 lbs with little effort. Two people guided the machine into place.
    Here is the company who made it - I love google searches!
    http://www.airsled.com/products.htm
    In fact, the machine pictured on the right, the spilt axis gantry machine made from Impala granite, is one I helped design!

NEATman

Thank you for the help. That is a big piece of steel you designed. From what you seen do you think a hollowed out disc of UHMW with pin holes drilled inside would hover a 1200 pound table saw?

Quote Originally Posted by jack clay View Post
    Thank you for the help. That is a big piece of steel you designed. From what you seen do you think a hollowed out disc of UHMW with pin holes drilled inside would hover a 1200 pound table saw?
    If you are moving on smooth concrete just UHMW pads sliding on the concrete without worrying about any holes or air will probably work; 1200pounds is not that heavy.

If you are not moving on smooth concrete it is likely your air pads won't work anyway.

I have a sealed concrete floor do you think the air would help any?

Quote Originally Posted by jack clay View Post
    I have a sealed concrete floor do you think the air would help any?
    Probably the air would help, just not necessary. To use air casters you would need to make them. You would also need to know the weight distribution of the machine; bigger casters would be needed for the corners carrying the most weight or you would need to feed each caster with its own valve and possibly regulator so the ones carrying less weight didn't lift too high and bleed air away from the others.

Two people with UHMW pads can easily move a 1200 pound machine, one husky person could probably do it. With a Jackall, some lengths of chain and a few anchor points one person could move it without problems. One person can move a heck of a lot more than 1200 pounds this way; I have skidded a 9000 pound lathe by myself.

Geof,
    thanks for your help

Jack-
    If you wanted to make it portable, or have many things to move, invest the time in making the aircasters.
    If you are looking to move it once, you can also use round barstock and a prybar. I have rearranged my shop (3500lb brigdeport, 1200lb hardinge) by myself with this method. I felt like the egyptians, moving big heavy things with rollers. Old school, buy it works well.

Neatman

I would like to make it portable so it can go in the corner when not in use. I have not been able to find a good plan to build the air casters. If I can not find a good plan, I may just have to settle for a mobile base. I just figured I would be stubbing my toe on it all the time.