588,184 active members*
4,473 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Hardinge Lathes > air leak main spindle Hardinge Conquest ST-25

air leak main spindle Hardinge Conquest ST-25

I have a massive air leak in the main spindle. It drains my 120 gallon air compressor in only a couple of minutes and I haven’t been able to track it down. And ideas would be welcome thanks.

Has it got an air chuck on it?

Well No not in that since, she runs a 2 collet system for rigidity for turning bar stock. The 1 out on what would normally by a main collet assembly is actually the guide bushing collet assembly with the main collet assembly positioned about 4 inches inside the spindle. She has 3 air delivery systems running to the main spindle. 1 operates the open & closing of the collets. 1 being an air purge for cleaning out crud as the collets are opened & closed and the other is the system for cooling & oiling the main spindle bearings. 2 systems have Air-Mac valves which I’ve already tried depressing the reset buttons on all 4 valves hoping the problem could reset itself. But no such luck, that isn’t saying at least 1 Air-Mac valve could have gone south on me. And I’ve tried keying in all related M commands i.e. purge shut off etc. and no luck either. The machine has one more set of Air-Mac valves but they run off to the sub-spindle.