587,321 active members*
3,405 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

alarm 24 circuit breaker on a FR-SF drive

Here is a new one that showed up at lunch time on the spindle drive. So far I have found 2-30 amp C/B in the electric cabinet and 1-50 C/B inside the spindle drive and they all have proper voltage on both sides of the breaker. There is also a breaker/contacter for both the hyd pump and coolant pump and they check good. Also there are 3 fuses on the spindle drive and they checked good. A tech from Mits had me disconnect the motor leads and ohm them leg to leg and leg to ground and checked good, and with the leads off restart the control but same alarm appears. Kevin mentioned to look for 100V C/B's, I have searched the electrical manual and the machine high and low and haven't found any.

While fumbling around I did notice at one point there was a transformer error on the drive but it went away and haven't seen it since. I did pull the cover off the transformer and check voltages against the tap chart and voltage is correct and it is dry all around the transformer and nothing unusual like a burnt or discolored area. The only thing the tech could think of was the AC reactor could be bad. Don't have a clue what that is but he did say it was behind the motor contacter on the spindle drive.

You may recall I just had this drive rebuilt 2 months ago and haven't had a problem with the drive since.

On a side note, on Friday the rear way cover (behind the turret) let go and I have sent it out for re manufacture. Although I was concerned about running the machine with the way cover removed, there is no coolant getting into the electrical cabinet or near the transformer.

Any thought or suggestions before I pull the drive back out and send it in?

Thanks in advance

AC reactor is easy enough to find. Out of your main transformer you'll have it go probably through a fuse switch disconnector, then through your main circuit breaker, then through your AC reactor, before going to your main circuit contactor. You can look at the AC reactor as what makes your AC voltage's wave into what is needed. If your AC reactor is good an you have the correct input voltage going to your FR-SF drive, then it might be your drive that is at fault. Not sure for your control for alarm 24's description, but also check for any other input voltage that might go to the drive.

Cheers.