587,513 active members*
3,034 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Alternate Lead Screw Mounting Idea

I couldn't think of a better description for my solution I came up with on my CNC lathe project. I have a Taig Micro II lathe that I am adding a lead screw to followed by CNC control. This will be my easy win to guage my intrest in this part of my expanding hobbies.

Since the lathe is so small (but big enough for what I use it for) I couldn't think of a safe way to turn down the ends of the screw for the bearing blocks. My solution, turn then tap some adapters of aluminum that screw onto the ends of the screw and are turned to size for the bearings. In my case I am using 3/8 - 16 all thread and some bearing assemblies that have a 3x.5mm boss screw so my adapters join two male screws.

It may not be original, but I've not seen anyone use it ... are there issues I need to be aware of? I'm using a 4-jaw chuck and tailstock drilling and tapping.

Thanks,
    Jay

You'll probably need to pin or set screw so they don't untighten when reversed.

OK, but if they are wedged in between two bearing blocks (like I've seen on most of the router tables) how could they unscrew. And if tere were a possibility, some loctight should be enough wouldn't you think?

Hi Jay.
    I would think that a simple locknut would do the job. I cant quite picture what you mean by wedged between bearing blocks. Medium loctite should do just fine too.
    How about some pictures of your set-up?
    colin

Quote Originally Posted by yukonho
    Hi Jay.
    I would think that a simple locknut would do the job. I cant quite picture what you mean by wedged between bearing blocks. Medium loctite should do just fine too.
    How about some pictures of your set-up?
    colin
    Hey Colin [url-"http://www.cnczone.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/7358"]my gallery[/url]. Hope that makes it more clear.

BTW, just tested it with a drill ... the leadscrew works :banana: Now I need to figure out a way to extend from the bearings for a handcrank on one end, and a stepper on the other. Let's see how well loctite will hold a 4-40 screw under those torques If not, I have some epoxy, probond, and JB Weld to try too

Jay

Jay