587,137 active members*
3,507 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Another JGRO machine......:)

Hi everyone,

My first post.....woot! :wee:

I started the build last weekend using the "latest" plans on the JGRO thread.

I'll be using an Easy-CNC 3axis controler with a power relay for the router.

I'm going to get the steppers from Anaheimautomation to pickup 3 24Y504S-LW8 432oz/in.

For starters I am going with 3/8 - 16 Allthread with HDPE anti-backlash nuts.

This will be my first table CNC. I currently have a "PhlatPrinter" for cutting foam and thin ply.

One thing I have figured out while building this machine is my wood working skills have gone to heck.....my wood shop coach would be really unhappy with me....it's ugly.....really ugly.....

Matthew

I'll get some photo's in a few days....like I said it's not pretty.

I am planning to use metal dowel nuts where ever I can. I hate to tap into the MDF it just doesn't hold very well....

Hi welcome to the forum.

Thanks!

Another note:

I'm using Mach3 (I purchased the full version last year) to run the G-Code but I need a good program to generate G-Code.

Do you all know of anything, other than PhlatCode, that will create G-Code within Sketchup? I've gotten used to using it but I have ACAD as well so I can create DXF or DWG if needed and get G-Code from there.

Just got the bearings in the mail!

I decided to get angleiron rather than aluminim since my local HW store just has 1.5x1.4x.125 aluminium. The angleiron is 1.25x1.25x.125 whicj is what we need.

I did find that the Z-Axis bearing block slots are too close together.....drat.....I'm cuting them again....

Just ordered the Steppers:

http://www.kelinginc.net/KL23H276-30-8A.pdf

Great deal....I hope 282OZ/IN will be enough!

I got the HDPE in today and completed all of the adjustment blocks. This was much easier than trying to drill and tap MDF....

I also completed the bearings for the Z-Axis tonight.

Got the UHMW in the mail today and completed all of teh adjustment blocks. This was much butter than trying to drill and tap MDF.

I also completed the Z-Axis bearings. That angle iron is tough to tap but man you can really torque the bolts in it!

Am I going to have issues with the 3/8-16 All Thread and the steppers I have? Lost steps.....slowness....?

Here are some pictures.

Shown are the Z Gantry bearings, all of the UHMW bearing blocks (and the system I used on the drill press to keep all of them centered), The new steppers all wired (Bipolar Series), and the crummy Gantry back plate I cut.....oh well...it's not pretty but it should work.

I should have the gantry completed this week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN5677 (Small).JPG   DSCN5685 (Small).JPG   DSCN5686 (Small).JPG   DSCN5687 (Small).JPG  

DSCN5688 (Small).JPG  

I finished the Z-Axis and have nearly completed the Y-Axis. I figure at the pace I am able to work I am looking at about 3 months to first cut.....

I was working on aligning the pipes for the Z-Axis and man what a chore....I also found that I need to move both pipes towards the inside of the adjusters and I still had a little play in one bearing on each side.

I added a 1 MM strip of HDPE under each angle iron. This allowed a little more room for adjustment but it's still a pain.

Matthew

Keep at it Matthew, get it right initially and it will save you lots of stress when you start to cut.

Jason

Hi everyone
    This myfirst post too.I currently have a "PhlatPrinter"
    to cut foam for RC.plane
    I living in Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by nongalula View Post
    Hi everyone
    This myfirst post too.I currently have a "PhlatPrinter"
    to cut foam for RC.plane
    I living in Thailand
    Hi Nongalula,

That's great! Welcome.....

I started with a PhlatPrinter too.

Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Marsha View Post
    Keep at it Matthew, get it right initially and it will save you lots of stress when you start to cut.

Jason
    Thanks Jason,

I'm going to use this one to learn on and then have it cut parts for my next CNC....should be much more accurate than all teh hand cutting.....

Matthew

I am still at it. It's been slow going but I am still making some progress. Now that the garage is cool again (summer around here is way too hot....)