587,853 active members*
3,293 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Any help for a newbie?

Hi!
    I just found this forum, its great! But I have a problem. I have done a little cnc machining but most of the related stuff is new to me. I have a Terco 45 cnc mill with old Nc-plot program to control it. The program is dos-based and very user-un-friendly. I was wondering if there is a better program to control the mill. It has a RS232 port to connect it to a computers serial port. The old computer (286 i think) that was used to control it finally broke, and with the new celeron I cant send any programs to the mill.

Lots of stuff, any help? Thanks!

Jouni

You should not really have any problems with serial ports on later machines. You did not say wether you have steppers or servo's?
    There is alternative software if you look at previous posts in the forums here that specialize in CNC control though the parallel port, I am not sure wether you may be able to use the existing motor controlls though.
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks!
    I don´t know if has servos or steppers, how can You tell without opening the machine

Oh by the way, the mill has a control panel. Do I need to use it or can I use the mill only with the computer?

I´ll search the forum more...

Jouni

I think I misunderstood your original post, I assumed (probabally wrongly) that the mill control was through the serial port, but you just mean the upload/download right?
    If you have already swopped out the computer you will probabally know wether the CNC control is via a servo card in one of the slots or is it s/w driven Possibly through the parallel port? This is something you will have to discover before changing anything over, if you can get some info from either the motors or drives and post it, someone can probablly be able to tell what type of motors you have, if you know for instance that the motors do not have encoder feedback then you have steppers.
    Al

Albert E.

Driver that are connected by the serial port are generally proprietory.
    Meaning you are tied to that company for all your software and hardware updates.
    You may still retrofit this to a step and direction controller but it will
    require that you replace some of the hardware too.
    You will need to investigate what can be saved (motors,powersupply ect..)
    and what drivers you will need to run your motors.
    Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man
    I think I misunderstood your original post, I assumed (probabally wrongly) that the mill control was through the serial port, but you just mean the upload/download right?
    If you have already swopped out the computer you will probabally know wether the CNC control is via a servo card in one of the slots or is it s/w driven Possibly through the parallel port? This is something you will have to discover before changing anything over, if you can get some info from either the motors or drives and post it, someone can probablly be able to tell what type of motors you have, if you know for instance that the motors do not have encoder feedback then you have steppers.
    Al
    I´m sorry, my mistake. That´s what I need, a software that sends programs to the mill. In the old software, programs were saved in .cnc format. Is this the same the mill is using or does the old software convert the program going to the mill?

The cable going to the computer has a serial port connection and the other end going to the mill has rs232 connection. so there´s no servo card.

Jouni

I was able to make a COM connection to my Fadal by configuring MS Hyperterminal to the correct settings (Hyperterminal seems to come with windows or is available free). All this is for is sending the G code text from your computer to the machines memory. The files I send wont work unless they are .txt extension.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Jounik
    I´m sorry, my mistake. That´s what I need, a software that sends programs to the mill. In the old software, programs were saved in .cnc format. Is this the same the mill is using or does the old software convert the program going to the mill?
    Jouni
    Did you originally have some cad/cam or cam software that converted your drawings or made up the programs that were compatible with your control?
    Do you know what format the mill takes? For example standard G code M code instructions?
    If you just need a dos transfer program you need to get hold of something like Telix, qmodem or Procomm, I can send you a copy of Telix if you require it, it is shareware.
    Like Darbee mentioned, under windows there is Hyperterminal, although the program that was supplied with Win3.1 called Terminal is much better for this application and can run under later versions of windows.
    Al

Albert E.

No, the programs use with the mill were very simple, no cad was used. The mill takes M and G commands (and F an S and so on..)

First I make the drawing with cad, convert it to .cnc (which software) and open it with the original old software (opens only .cnc files). Then I transfer it to the mill. Is this about right?

Thanks to all for the answers!

Jouni

I assume the Transfer program you had was set for .cnc extension? If you need a dos transfer program, one of the ones I mentioned before would do the trick, They are actually designed for modem communication but you just use them in the terminal mode and set ascii as the type of transfer, you would need to know however what protocol the recieve (control) end is set at and set the modem program accordingly, I see that Telix is still available now ver 3.51, if you use this you also need to search for the tlxmdm351.zip file to load in the same directory. If your download PC has windows, I would suggest you get hold of a copy of Win3.1 Terminal, as that should work fine. You will also have to confirm wether the cable you are using has the handshake lines in use or jumpered out, as probally you may have to set the communication for software handshake also (xon/xoff).
    Al

Albert E.

OK! Thanks Al, I´ll try that!

Jouni

Quote Originally Posted by Jounik
    OK! Thanks Al, I´ll try that!
    Jouni
    I also forgot, there is also a free windows DNC program for one machine on the Cadem site.
    Al

Albert E.

Here is the DNC link as all mentioned http://www.cadem.com/freednc.htm
    www.integratedmechanical.ca