588,150 active members*
5,420 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Any pics of DIY 4th axis for small CNC

Any pics of DIY 4th axis for small CNC

Hi Guys, I was wondering if anybody has any pics of their lightweight (not cast iron) DIY 4th axis not CNC lathe. I have about 4 inches in dia. (Z) to work with and about a 12" long possibly longer if needed and I use 8020 T slot.

I have the electronics already and am just looking for ideas on what works and doesn't work. I was thinking a geared stepper GT belt driving the chuck.

Do most people just buy a 3 or 4 jaw chuck and some kind of live end or what?

The first project I had in mind was personalizing cork fishing rod handles for friends then who knows what...

I have some 40mm 8020 T slot at work I was thinking of using for the frame so my not yet designed tail stock could slide. These frame members (ways) would be more off to the front and back instead of taking up room for stock to be machined and the end supports outside of the machining area (left and right).

I'll whip up something in Solidworks as soon as I can for the prototype design so everybody can provide input (rip it to shreds that is(nuts))

I don't know if anyone can understand what I'm trying to say I can see a simple design in my mind but might not be verbalizing it very well.

I'm looking for drive gear ratio's,
    Chuck advise,
    Tailstock advice,
    general 4th axis do's and don'ts.

Thanks,

Ferny.

Here are a couple of quick pics of my 4th axis.
    I had just got the tail stock in when I left - so haven't had a chance to set up and run it.

Looking forward to it though - its built out of the satellite dish turntables that someone was selling a few years back, cant say what the gear ratio is - just modified the spur gear to fit my stepper shaft.

I have a 4 jaw chuck to mount on the face of the drive - not shown in the pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails satdrive turntable.jpg   guts of drive.jpg   stepper and gear.jpg   built up 4th axis front.jpg  

built up 4th axis back.jpg  
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

No one else has any good pics of a DIY fourth axis? I was really hoping to steal some ideas!

Another idea - check out deepgrove's website - (google should get there) He has a smaller version with a mini chuck - bit pricey - but all built. Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.