587,655 active members*
4,102 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Anybody setup a lubrication system on their mill?

Anybody setup a lubrication system on their mill?

I think it would be pretty cool to have a lubrication system for my X3. Something like one of those Bijur setups you find on some bridgeports where it lubricates the ways and critical points all at once. I think I would want a manual system as opposed to an automatic. Has anybody successfully installed such a setup, or something similar, on their benchtop mill?

I installed zerk grease fittings about 1/2 way down each axis.

The machine is infrequently used (every few days) so I just lube it at the start of each job.

The "grease gun" for it is filled with a synthetic oil mixed with PTFE and MSO2 additive. (www.fluoromoly.com)

May be a bad idea, but it works very well on my mill.

Pres

On my mill/drill, I got a manual Enco pump on sale some time back for about $40. Made a log type manifold to screw into the outlet port (should have put a check valve at this point, but didn't) and then using 5/32 tubing and push on connectors (MSC), ran the tubing to various points for oiling. In some cases, I made adapters to fit existing "oiler" spots by tapping them and inserting tapped bushings for the fittings that I had. In an attempt to restrict the oil flow, in some cases these bushings had the last bit drilled with small drills ~#60 to act as an orifice. In other cases, I drilled and tapped the saddle or table in central locations to provide the necessary feed points and again, the last bit of the hole might contain a restricting orifice portion.

You can see some of the setup on my webpage at:

http://bellsouthpwp.net/A/r/Arts_home_page/cnc/

When rebuilding, I was also fortunate enough to have access to a rebuilding book from a friend that recommended putting "Z" grouves on the ways to help distribute the oil (one can be seen in the X axis picture on the web site). These were made with a die grinder and friction wheel freehand. Burrs were removed and it work very well.
    Bubba
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

I acquired a Centro-Matic manual pump and an excessive number of individual valves on log distributors via Ebay, and ran 1/8 copper tubing to the y axis ways and the ball screw for the y axis. The z and x axis ways are via 1/8 poly tubing (for oil pressure guages). This pump is capable of generating up to 2400 psi. Having the individual valves allows metering of the quantity of lubricant dispensed per stroke of the manual pump.

The only thing I could not lube was the x axis ball screw. For this, I drilled two holes in the table just above the ball screw and tapped for 3/16" set screws. I'll just remove the set screws and squirt a little oil in the hole and then replace the set screws