587,514 active members*
2,948 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Hardinge Lathes > Anyone know how to disable the hydraulic pump?

Anyone know how to disable the hydraulic pump?

I'm just getting acquainted with my new CHNC-I and am having a bit of an issue with the hydraulic pump sucking so much air. My relatively small compressor (5.1SCFM) cannot keep up unless I disconnect the solenoid that engages the hydraulic pump.

Is there a control to turn off the hydraulic pump in software/configuration rather than having to disconnect the solenoid? The hydraulic system and cross-slide are an optional feature, so it stands to reason that there'd be a bit somewhere to turn it off.

And what is the rated air consumption for this machine? I've searched the manuals and cannot find a rating (in SCFM), and it is important to know so I can size my new compressor accordingly.

Torin...

Compressed air is the most expensive energy source, you can have. If you need the hydraulic pump for lubricating your slides or spindle, I recommend you to buy a separate electric hydraulic pump.

The pump is specifically and only for operating the cross-slide. The thing is, the cross slide is only used once to cut off the part which means the hydraulic pump is running continuously in anticipation of the cross slide being activated. A more efficient means would be to engage the pump at the moment the cross slide is required, cut off the part, then disengage the motor again. My guess is that the machine needs about 4 SCFM for all the usual stuff (lube, collet closer, turret, etc.) and probably another 4 ~ 5 SCFM for the compressor alone (!). That's a lot of air, and yes, it's expensive - wear on the equipment, noise, and of course, $$$ for electricity.

If I have the chuck attached, then the cross-slide is of no use (the chuck protrudes through and beyond the cross-slide cutting area, so a turret-based cut-off tool is required instead.) Once again, a tremendous waste of air (and unecessary wear on the pump) for a feature that isn't being used.

I just don't like the idea of disconnecting a wire when I could be setting a bit in software. I'm hoping someone knows whether the pump's continuous operation is normal, and, if there's a bit that can be set to turn it off while it's not in use.

Torin...