587,201 active members*
2,809 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Anyone know how to make this?

Anyone know how to make this?

Help! my project is a month behind and my sub- Contractor has just phoned me up and said that he don't know how to machine the angled faces ont he attached drawing.

I can modify my drawing, but don't really want to- a glass window goes in there and it's similarly chamfered- a flat surface might chip the glass.

Any ideas? my sub- contractor has all manner or CNC lathes and mills. He's even got a Water Jet thingy.

Any ideas greatly appreciated :drowning:

Iain xxx

[Edit]Dwg change (section X-X)[/Edit]
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

You do not provide much info on what is going on the in corners between the 60 and 45 degree flats.

Give him some easier way of making the transition between the 45 and 60 degree chamfers, like some kind of radius. Otherwise he is limited to picking out the corners in an EDM or finding a wire EDM that will cut a 45° and even then you will not get less then about a 0.006" radius.

Also section X is shown as not perpendicular to the edge so the 60° angle shown in the section view will be something else on the part but you do not give enough info to determine what. I would assume you want 60° but when making a part one can only read what is on a drawing. Drawings should never need to be interpreted.

by hand. Slow, tedious, careful hand work will do it. Holding the part in a machiine is a major hard part. Many hate fixturing, but a fixture could be made at added expense to hold the part between two plates. The plates would have a window to allow him to machine that bevel. Once the fixture is made, it is a fast procedure, but the fixture is ah added expense. How many of these are you making? If just a few, by hand, if a run, a fixture.

Andre'B,

Thanks for spotting that- I knocked this drawing up in an hour and obviously missed it! (have changed and up- issued it).

It's a weird contract- company X is the final customer, customer Y is doing the manufacturing for company X. Company Y is subcontracting the optical coatings to us, but we are subcontracting the tooling for the coating back to company Y (we are doing the design).

Mr Wild,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately it's a "one off". However there are another 9 of these "one offs" (all different designs).

I've changed the design- spoke to the guy who's actualy making it last night and we came up with a "lip" solution which will hold the glass substrate half way up it's chamfered 45 and 60 deg faces (ie the metal fixture will have a step which will locate on these faces)- this should minimise the chance of chipping.

I'm still worried though- the glass will be clamped in these and heated to around 350 deg C.

Update:

The guy's a genius, he decided to use inserts for the flat 60 degree part. The connection between the circular and flat angled faces is unimportant (he wasn't aware of this and so he could leave a "gap". Just shows you what happens if you actualy talk to people hehe.

Will post a piccie of the completed part tomorrow.