587,098 active members*
6,394 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Anyone used the Flatted shank Cobalt Dewalt Drills recently kinda funny

Anyone used the Flatted shank Cobalt Dewalt Drills recently kinda funny

Just a little heads up maybe, either they really suck now or all I bought were from a bad run. At work most of my drilling is in Stainless. I dont mind using the Dewalt and other cobalt bits from Lowes or Home Depot in my coldless drill around work since you may drill a plate and hit a piece of tile or anything, they usually dont stay sharp all that long. I got some of the new Dewalt bits a few weeks ago because I was getting low on some sizes and I liked the idea of the flatted shank for the keyless chucks. I had to drill a 3/16 hole in a 11 guage Stainless plate and a piece of 24 guage stainless to pop rivet them together. Pilot drilled all the holes 1/16" since they werent in all that easy of a place to get to. Stepped up to 3/16" drilled 1 old bit was dull so in one of the new Dewalts go. 3/4 of the way through the bit twisted off about 3/4" up from the point like a cheap grade 1 bolt. The lands and valleys were missing now. I was totally in awe, OK. Open another pack drill 2 holes fine, great chips, bits cut good anyway, then the bit stopped for a moment on breakthrough chuck didnt though. Pulled the bit out and the shank where it was clamped in the chuck has twisted the flats almost a half round. It also had bent the bit like a bananna. Bent it back most of the way straight and finished the other 3 holes. I have never twisted or bent a small drill bit like that without breaking it let alone twisted it up like a screw. I threw the first one away but kept the second just to show the guys at the shop. It made for a good laugh anyway. I think they may have forgot to harden them or something, bad thing is I have 10 more

Had a batch of Dewalt driver bits recently that completely snapped off installing some Tapcons - I had the same Phillips bit doing tapcons for over 6 years and it finally got rounded so I bought a new pack of 5. Within 10 tapcons 4 snapped or rounded the bit so bad it wouldn't drive. Emailed Dewalt and they sent out 10 new bits. Granted the wrong length ones (the little stubby ****s not the ones for the quick attach unit) but still they were happy to try and make me happy.

I think their QC has gone down a bit. They used to be my choice at the Depot but I think I'll stick with the stuff I'm getting from the tooling store from here on.

Hey max, are those Dewalt drill bits advertised as being HSS, or were they actually billed as being Cobalt?

Cobalt on the blister pack. I dont even bother with HSS with all the crappy Stainless I have to drill with the cordless. I'll have to see if I can get a pic to show the twist in the shank vs. a new one out of the pack and post it.

Ive got two of the suckers that bent the first time I used them in aluminum.
    Either the heat treat was wrong or they are using some crap steel.

Wow, I'm surprised at that. Cobalt drills (true commercial grade anyway) are some of the best drills I've ever used. I appreciate the heads-up on these crappy bits, I'll definately steer clear of them. I almost bought some a while back... glad I didn't. No excuse, cobalt makes for very good tooling.

Are these Dewalt bits the PILOT POINT bits?
    http://www.dewalt.com/us/articles/pr...se.asp?ID=1561

I wanted to invite DeWalt to respond to this, but conveniently, they don't list any contact email addresses on their website.

Yeah there the new pilot point. I had some other pilot points in the past and didnt care for them really but with the exception of these twisting up they seem to work pretty good. Its a shame to really because its hard to find a decent bit at odd hours when I usually need it and dewalt has always been good bits for me...til now. I think I will call them or something and maybe they can check on it. Im sure mine werent the only ones with this problem.