588,190 active members*
3,926 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Arcade crane parts???

I was thiking about using the rails/slides out of an old crane/claw game, like you see at malls with the candy or stuffed animals. I mean, they have the slides and mounts on them, also lead screws, and are ready for more precise steppers. I could build the frame around them, and ive found them on ebay for well under $50, and people are willing to part them out, what do you think, is it worth trying?
    Chris

The rods are usually small in diameter and they use a concave roller wheel to ride over them. The smaller rods would flex unless you could support them over their entire length. As for the rollers, you would need something to retain them onto the rods, so they can't be lifted off. I'm not saying that it can't be done, it can be but with a few modifications. A crane has only gravity to deal with where as a router/ mill also has side forces that have to be dealt with, cutting bit against the material.

I must commend you for thinking outside of the box on this one, I don't think anyone here has thought of this approach before.
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.