587,480 active members*
3,376 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cool auto corner rounding

We have an older SL3 Mori Seiki with FAPT Fanuc 10T controls. Occassionally we have to hand write a program because we want the tool to do something that the FAPT system doesn't allow for. I'm used to using just an R.030 command at the end of the block traveling up a shoulder, followed by another G1 linear move in the Z axis to round a corner without having to write a G2 or G3 line of code and calculate all the data. When I do this, our machine "reads" the code (doesn't alarm) but does NOT cut the radius. Is there a parameter or M-code that has the "auto-corner rounding" turned off??

Thanks for any help you can offer!

I know it's hard to believe, but in the old days that was an option. I would assume you do have cutter comp on, without it you may not see the radius.

I assume it is but will check tomorrow. I'm the "tooling guy" here and was involved with resolving a grooving issue. I rewrote the program manually to make it do what I wanted it to do, but just could not get the auto rounding to work. We inserted g2 and g3 lines to take care of it, but I just need to know for my satisfaction if the "old way" is possible!! Thanks, I'll post tomorrow on the cutter comp.

auto corner rounding

try putting a coma before the R move. Example X5.0000 ,R.030;
    If you're using tool comp, G41 is left side of the road and G42 is right side of the road.