587,202 active members*
3,038 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Automatic Oiler Question

I have recently replaced the original manual oiler on my PCNC770 with the automatic unit (31373 - Automatic Oiler ). When wired following Tormach's instructions the oiler is only operable when the spindle contactor (C2) is active. I usually "cut air" with the spindle off to test new programs, do drag engraving with the spindle off and use the mill with the probe and spindle off to measure items for reverse engineering. I don't use my mill in a production environment so it is sometimes idle for several days and Tormach recommends an extra shot of oil prior to usage. This can only be done if the spindle is set to manual and the spindle started first -- generally a pain and subject to being forgotten. Has anyone changed the wiring so that the oiler is powered whenever the mill is on? Any downside other than wasted oil if the mill is left on but unused?

Re: Automatic Oiler Question

If you have the 230V oiler, you should be able to easily just wire the oiler directly into the C1 contactor where L24 and L14 are connected (rather than the C2 connections for L26 and L16 like the manual directs).

I don't see a downside other than wasting oil.

I understand you desire; if I haven't used my machine for a couple weeks, I like to shoot it some oil before I start referencing it.... which requires starting and stopping the spindle to energize the oiler.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.