587,787 active members*
5,030 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Ballscrew upgrade for Sherline CNC mill

Ballscrew upgrade for Sherline CNC mill

Hi everybody. I've been using my sherline for 3ish years now and loving it. However, I've been very interested in getting a ballscrew upgrade, and have had no luck finding an upgrade kit, so I decided to look into making one myself. I'm currently in contact with a company that makes ballscrews and will be getting a quote for them soon for one that may fit well in a sherline with little modification.. I'm curious if anybody else would be interested in an upgrade kit, or even just the ball screws and doing the modifications yourself. If you are interested, how much would you be willing to pay for just the XY ballscrew upgrade, or the XYZ upgrade? I'm really just looking at the moment for people's interest. If I can get enough, maybe I'll start a kickstarter or something

Re: Ballscrew upgrade for Sherline CNC mill

Lots of people have talked about doing this, but hardly anyone ever actually does. The problem is that cheap ballscrews are less accurate than the Sherline's existing leadscrews and the expensive ones cost more than the mill itself, if you want a whole set. Plus it's hard to fit the nuts into the space available.

If you really want to change out the screws for better speed, look into the Kerk screws: Haydon Kerk Linear Actuators, Lead Screws, and Linear Rails They have anti-backlash nuts for them, and they have a coating for better lubricity. You can get them with faster leads than the standard Sherline screws, which makes them better for wood projects. A2Z uses them for their "Monster" mills - essentially Sherline mills with these screws fitted.
    Andrew Werby
    Website