588,141 active members*
5,585 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

band saw blades

some people dont consider band saw cutting maching but i dont know where else to put it.

my question is, have any of you folks ever welded band saw blades? i have a crack in a few bandsaw blades and i was hoping i could easily tig weld them together. i as wondering if anyone knows what kind of wire to use or if it can be done. i dont what the bands are made of but i purchased bimetal blades. the blades are $80 each so i dont wanna through it out if i can weld it up. the teath are still good. if anyone knows anything, please, please, let me know. thanks

The blades are made of tool steel!
    I have seen this done on 1/2" blades, I think the use fusion welding?
    Then they anealed it with Oxy-Acetylene to keep it from breaking !

Hope this helps!
    Eric

If the crack is at the weld, maybe the blade could be rewelded, in hopes that it was just a bad weld to begin with. However, if there are several random cracks on each blade, this means it has reached the end of its metal fatigue life and should likely be discarded as it is worn out.

Bandsaw blade resistance welders can be bought to buttweld blades. Fairly expensive for a few blades, and still takes a little bit of art to do a good weld. Other guys have silversoldered blades, but that is another art to be learned.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

My bandsaw has its own welder as an integral part of the machine, here is what I have found in the past many years :

1) As Hu says, random cracks, its done..fold and trash. It is dangerous at this point.

2) Grind out old weld, fusion weld and anneal.

3) If you do not have the equipment ( I.E. a blade welder, grinder ) find a good blade shop in your area..They usually are pretty nice guys, and will repair/ reweld for a nominal fee if the blade is not damaged. A poorley welded blade is just a PITA to use and dangerous...Especially if you need to cut Alum @ 4500 SFM.

Adobe (old as dirt )

I only use a small diy bandsaw, with 1/4" - 1/2" wide blades, but I have brazed my broken bandsaw blades for several years, and have never had one come apart at the new joint.
    The only unusual (?) step I take is to grind a hook in each end, so that under tension the steel is taking the load. Filling the small gap with the silver solder merely keeps the ends in place.
    This way, I found it easier to produce a joint that's flat and without any bumps.
    John
    It's like doing jigsaw puzzles in the dark.
    Enjoy today's problems, for tomorrow's may be worse.

On another note, if you are paying $80/ blade for something like a standard 1" x 13'6" x .035 x 4-6 TPI bimetal blade, you are paying too much.
    Up here in Canada I pay about $55ea for Lenox blades
    www.integratedmechanical.ca