587,550 active members*
2,983 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

BandSaw Question

Hi,
    I have a 10 inch band saw that has quite a high FPM and i would like to slow it down a little to be able to cut aluminium. i though about re-gearing it which would be possiable take alot of work. is it possiable to just put a rotary switch on the power like the x2 mill? (different switch but that idea) would that be possiable or would it stress the motor to much i know when you cut the power it reduces the the amount of power the motor produces......

thanks guys
    Mike

Bandsaw

Mike,
    I don't think you can do it the easy way. If you had a 3-phase motor on the saw, you could probably do it with a VFD, but you'd be spending lots of money doing it. I have a 12" wood cutting bandsaw that was converted to cut metal, with a jackshaft and a few pulleys. I usually only cut aluminum with it, and it will go through 1/2" or 1" plate like swiss cheese. A few weeks ago I needed to take a slice off a 12" X 12" X 3" thick piece of plate. It took a while, but it worried it's way through. If I had a much coarser tooth blade, I'm sure it would have gone faster.

Marv Frankel
    Los Angeles

Try cutting ally with it just as it is! Mine cuts beautifully wood or ally! Thin blade with 6tpi

Bandsaw

VWSatOz,
    I guess that my problem is, too many TPI. I think that the blade I'm using is about 14 TPI, and the reason is because I generally cut aluminum plate of 1/2" or less, but I also cut stainless steel of about .050", (very carefully) and I don't want to strip the teeth off the blade. I'm also in too much of a hurry to change blades.

Marv Frankel
    Los Angeles

I bought one of Harbor Freight's metal bandsaws, the cheap gravity fed ones. I had a 14 tpi blade in it, and it took forever. That broke the other day and I had only a 10tpi blade to replace it with. Now, I can cut thru 3" x 1" aluminum in about 2 minutes. I'm VERY impressed.

Wade

vwsatoz you use a 6tpi blade to cut aluminum? that seems kinda big it seems like it would be a wild ride

about slowing it down it was my understanding that for aluminum you really dont have to do it because it is not a ferrous metal (has no iron) and some where i read that it has a lower densitiy then some hard woods (i dont know about that) but i figured that it couldnt hurt if it was easy to do to slow i down but you guys are able to do it i guess it is not that big of a deal

thanks mike

Hellbringer, if you measure the dia. of the pullies you have now, then divide that in half you can slow it down by 50%. Then, search for a two step pulley with those dias."s or one within 10% of dia. and I think you'd be good to go. Also don't forget to install a bi-metal blade for whichever metal you are cutting, ferrous or non-ferrous.

Hi:
    To roughly determine correct blade tooth pitch, at least 3 teeth should be engaged in the material. This prevents the teeth from catching and breaking off.
    Let the saw fly with aluminium.

regards