587,184 active members*
3,571 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Best power supply for cheap on ebay?

Best power supply for cheap on ebay?

I currently have a G540, 4 x #23-305-DS8A (hobbycnc stepper motors), with a 24v DIY power supply from hobbycnc. The problem is I think I am too under powered because I keep receiving an error when doing long gcode programs in Mach 3.

So my question is would a 48v power supply be a good fit for my set-up? And if so what brand will give me the biggest bang for the buck?

Thank you for your time

New Regulated Power Supply Switching 350W 48V 7.3A | eBay

Those have worked fine with me, they even have a voltage adjustment pot and if for some reason you want to have a wider adjustment range you can replace the pot or one of the resistors near it (you can find info about it on the Endless-Sphere electric vehicles forums).

Check the maximum voltage for your motors, if it's lower than 48 maybe it's a better idea to get que 36V 10A version (seems to be the same PSU with very slight modifications) and beef it up with the potentiometer (you can probably get it to 40V safely). Just try not to go too high, so the overvoltage protection doesn't trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by dxhale View Post
    The problem is I think I am too under powered because I keep receiving an error when doing long gcode programs in Mach 3.
    Mach 3 can't know what your steppers are doing (at least not in your case), the error has nothing to do with your power supply. What error are you receiving? Maybe you're using the Mach3 demo (limited lines of code)?

Still, a PSU upgrade would be nice, just make sure about the limits of your steppers so you don't overvoltage them.