587,172 active members*
2,809 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Best swiss threrading tools....

Hi all, I was wondering what your recommendations for swiss threading tools are. (yes, this is inspired by my other thread about 316.)

Requirements:

Economical (though I know I am currently getting ripped off at ~$15 per edge)
    Different grades or geometries (chipbreaker, et al) available (we turn everything from nylon to titanium, and a LOT of stainless)
    available in small 10MM shank, but hopefully has some 1/2" holders that the inserts fit...

Would be *really* nice if at least one style of the inserts were resharpenable, but if they don't suck and don't need to be sharpened all the damn time then this is a moot point.

Bring on the suggestions!
    Thanks! (Also, happy damn Friday!)

We have been using Iscar 16ER IC908 for threading stainless with great results. They run us $3-4 and edge.
    www.atmswiss.com

We use a combination of Iscar and Vardex for threading in everything from nylon to stainless. Both work well. Also, if you are looking for standard turning, grooving, and parting tools, check the "small tools" section of the Mitsubishi catalog. A bit pricey for sure, but I get excellent performance out of them, and their customer service is second to none in my area. The Mitsubishi rep in our area spent 4 hours here one time to get the drilling feed/speed correct for drilling implant grade 316L stainless @32hHRc. They stand behind their product.

Anyway...that's my 2 cents.

Mike

Here's a news flash for you: Vardex or Carmex, the two major Israeli carbide insert threading tool makers, make the tools for Iscar, Seco, Sandvik, Kennametal, etc.

I prefer to just go to the sources. I find Carmex has slightly better prices on most, and for smaller threads they go down to 72 threads per inch in a 16ER insert. I like that most of their grades have a sharper edge because they grind the tops of the chipbreaker after molding and sintering the insert.

The Vardex system uses a slightly different numbering system. Their "16ER" is labeled as "3ER". The inserts interchange. If you need a stronger edge in a molded chipbreaker, the Vardex inserts might be the better choice, I like their VKX adn VM7 grades.

Both companies sell through distribution here in the US. Both have metric and inch shank sizes, though the nod might go to Vardex for more choices of holders. Carmex probably has more in standards for ACME, STUB ACME, API, Whitworth, American Buttress, etc. Vardex's "TTGen" software kicks ass. Download it for free to select tools.

Hope this helps.

Pixman (and everyone else) Thanks for the replies!! I ordered a Carmex thread tool (er16 insert in a 10MM holder! sweet!!) .. Inserts are $16 each.

I'll try to remember to post back up here and let everyone know how it comes out!

One question, the catalog said to order a special negative helix anvil for turning a LH thread with the tool.. I don't understand why this is necessary. Can anyone explain?
    thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by PoiToi View Post
    ... One question, the catalog said to order a special negative helix anvil for turning a LH thread with the tool.. I don't understand why this is necessary. Can anyone explain?
    thanks again!
    The tools sit on a carbide pad that is on a helix angle to give the tool some additional clearance it the direction of travel.
    If you're producing a LH thread, your direction is reversed so you need the correct anvil.
    Control the process, not the product!
    Machining is more science than art, master the science and the artistry will be evident.