588,385 active members*
5,061 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > BF20 Machining underside of X table

BF20 Machining underside of X table

Hi all

I've just purchased a BF20L clone (sold under Top Tech brand in aus). Due to the lack of space under the X axis I've narrowed the ballnut type to a square type, either from Rex Machine Industries or Type 2 from Isel. In either case I think I will need a slot about 50mm wide by 2mm - 3mm deep to accommodate the ballnut. This will leave an approx 12mm to 11mm thickness at the bottom of the Tee nut slot. Taking into account this is only a hobby machine (mostly Aluminium and light steel) would this adversely affect the strength of the X table ?

Or has anyone done a retrofit on a BF20 and has any advice ? Just don't want to waste time & $$ reinventing the wheel.

One more question, what is the opinion on direct drive vs pulley drive ?

Cheers
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by bladehunter View Post
    Taking into account this is only a hobby machine (mostly Aluminium and light steel)
    the bf20 is all cast iron. i dont think 2mm should hurt it, but my preference would be to remove it from the saddle. seems easier to do to me.

Thanks for the reply
    But it's clearance on the topside that I need, I can sit the nut into the saddle, well within reason.

Quote Originally Posted by bladehunter View Post
    Thanks for the reply
    But it's clearance on the topside that I need, I can sit the nut into the saddle, well within reason.
    most of the conversions ive seen dont touch the table. you would make new bearing mount plates that put the screw a bit lower down i think.

ill have to look again. what size screw are you using?

Looks like I may only need a 1mm-1.5mm "skim" to get the clearance I need. I'll run with a 16mm ballscrew and an Isel ballnut that comes in 25mm high.......Well that's today's idea lol