587,999 active members*
4,646 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

BF30 conversion question.

Hi,

I'm in the process of collecting the bits I need to CNC my optimum BF30. I'll be replacing the lead screws with double nut ball screws and noticed the current supports hold deep groove bearings. Reading other peoples threads I've not noticed anyone replacing these for angular contact bearings on what will be the stepper end. Are the loads not an issue or is the backlash acceptable with deep ball bearings. Personally I'm abit concerned leaving the standard deep groove bearings especially as they are just retained by circlips.

I'd appreciate your opinion?

Justin

On my (clone) BF30 there were no deep groove bearings. All axes used axial thrust ball bearings. I replaced them with angular contact pairs all round when I converted my machine to CNC.
    LongRat
    www.fulloption.co.uk

Oops, disregard my last.

Suprised at not finding at least thrust races I just drifted out the bearings in the end plates, they are in fact double row ac bearings. I think in my initial inspection I looked at the same bearing block twice and ignored the end with the ac bearings!!!

Received my order from Zapp Automation today, double ball nuts on 20mm screws and 25mm for the z. shame the 25mm nut is on backorder still I can get on with the x and y.

Just got to pop out and pick up some stock and the mill can do it's first and last manual session.

Not sure whether to post a conversion thread or not, the BF30 seems to have been done to death. Unless people are still interested?

Justin

Post away, there are a lot more BF20s on here than 30s. You might have done something on your conversion that proves very useful to other BF30 owners, including me!
    LongRat
    www.fulloption.co.uk

Build threads are just that. It doesn't matter if you are build number 1000 or 1. We love to see how others are doing it. Even if you get a CNC kit. Everyone does something different that might give someone else some ideas on how to solve a problem.
    Jeremiah
    PM45 CNC Build in Progress

I agree, post away! its always good to see what people do!