587,221 active members*
3,104 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Big Kaiser Spindle Speeders

Big Kaiser Spindle Speeders

Anyone use a Big Kaiser spindle speeder? We have a BCV40-GTG5-10-155-65 and we've been having problems with ours. We are running it on a Mori Seiki MV-40 every 6 minutes for a total of 82 seconds at 4100rpm(amplied to 19147rpm). The first one ran great for about 2 months and then the bearings went out. They basically blamed it on us and my supervisor made me check and record all the runout and check some other things. It was all verified to be within tolerance so why is that our fault? Well we got the new one back, ran the break in cycle twice, and 6 hours later those bearings went out. Anyone else have any issues with Big Kaiser?

We had one running a gun drill in a HMC with coolant thru the tool. It ran fine. Maybe the coolant kept the speeder bearings cool.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Are you running them with coolant. I have three big Daishowa speeders. Two of them locked up and one continues to run like a champ. The problem is that if you run them without an oil based coolant you are exceeding the bearings maximum speed. The bearings are rated for 17,000 rpm with grease lubricant and 22,000 rpm with oil lubricant. The bearings are not greased in the spindle they are left open for the coolant to keep cool and lubricate. If you run them dry you are messing up big time. Also try not to over speed them because then you exceed the bearing max rpm and they fail. Try to limit speed to around 18000 rpm and always run coolant and see if that helps. Don't ask me how I know what the bearing setup is like inside the spindles. And as for the spindles I have they are not lower speed cheapies. They were over 8000 dollars each. Seems crappie that the bearings can't handle more speed. I would like to see some that use higher rpm bearings that are grease lubricated and sealed so they can be run dry. Good luck.
    Judleroy

Quote Originally Posted by judleroy View Post
    Are you running them with coolant. I have three big Daishowa speeders. Two of them locked up and one continues to run like a champ. The problem is that if you run them without an oil based coolant you are exceeding the bearings maximum speed. The bearings are rated for 17,000 rpm with grease lubricant and 22,000 rpm with oil lubricant. The bearings are not greased in the spindle they are left open for the coolant to keep cool and lubricate. If you run them dry you are messing up big time. Also try not to over speed them because then you exceed the bearing max rpm and they fail. Try to limit speed to around 18000 rpm and always run coolant and see if that helps. Don't ask me how I know what the bearing setup is like inside the spindles. And as for the spindles I have they are not lower speed cheapies. They were over 8000 dollars each. Seems crappie that the bearings can't handle more speed. I would like to see some that use higher rpm bearings that are grease lubricated and sealed so they can be run dry. Good luck.
    Judleroy
    This one has a max RPM of 20,000. In the manual it says you can run 20,000 for 30 minutes and 16,000 continuously. Coolant is recommended and it talked about prolonging the life of the unit and to help control elongation. It also says the unit seals up grease and it's usually unnecessary to supply grease. We are only using it for 82 seconds every 6 minutes which we were told by their representative that it was fine to not use coolant because "heat saturation takes about 20 minutes" and the remaining "rest" time was sufficient. It just seems weird that the first one ran for 2 months fine, broke, fixed, and then broke again in 6 hours. Maybe my spindle has gone nuts or one of the gears or shafts in the unit has been damaged causing unnecessary binding.