587,174 active members*
3,681 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > black oxide for aluminum diy

black oxide for aluminum diy

Is there a diy for black oxiding of aluminum (6061) parts? I am looking for a diy kit that you can buy.

An anodizing kit is what you are looking for. Have you tried searching here on CNCzone it has been discussed many times. You will probably also find information if you use Googel and search for 'home based anodizing' or something similar.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I could help you out if you need help with anodizing.

I could sell you all the necessar tools needed to start anodizing.

While anodizing is far more common, I will take the poster at his word that he wants a "Black Oxide" treatment for aluminum. These are also available.

For example, via this product:

http://www.epi.com/pages/aluminum-blackening

Caswell has a lot of metal treatments for small batches, though I didn't see any black oxide for aluminum.

For really small batches and no muss/no fuss, this product from Brownell's works reasonably well:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4...ALUMINUM_BLACK

None of these alternatives will give as nice a finish as anodizing, however.

Cheers,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Which finish is more tougher, anodized or black oxide for aluminum? I will be making some clamps for my mill and will need some form of rust protection. I was told that black oxide is tougher/stronger/more-durable than anodized aluminum. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by georgebarr View Post
    ....I will be making some clamps for my mill and will need some form of rust protection....Thanks,
    Aluminum is naturally 'rust proof' because a protective oxide coating forms spontaneously; in fact you cannot prevent it forming. Anodizing is a process that electrochemically increases the thickness of the oxide layer making it more durable.

I had a look at the links in the other post and they seem to be not much more than paint; this is a comment in one of them It is not as hard as a black anodized finish. The hardness of the finish can be enhanced by top coating with a clear lacquer....

Really you do not need to worry about doing anything to protect your clamps.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Aluminum is naturally 'rust proof' because a protective oxide coating forms spontaneously; in fact you cannot prevent it forming. Anodizing is a process that electrochemically increases the thickness of the oxide layer making it more durable.

I had a look at the links in the other post and they seem to be not much more than paint; this is a comment in one of them It is not as hard as a black anodized finish. The hardness of the finish can be enhanced by top coating with a clear lacquer....

Really you do not need to worry about doing anything to protect your clamps.

Yes but the cost difference is most likely not much greater with the ano vs black oxide.

I don't know to much about the black oxide but I am sure the prices aren't to much less than what I could anodize for. I am not sure.

I am just saying stick with anodizing!

I'm with Geof. Those products are alternatives to anodizing to achieve mostly a cosmetic effect. Anodizing will give you the best result. The cold bluing formulas for steel are more useful, but you're doing aluminum.

If you want something quick, dirty, and cosmetic just so your clamps have a finish, consider the other products. But if you want to do it "right", anodizing is the way to go.

Cheers,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Aluminum for small pieces isn't all that costly to be honest. I offer a no $$ minimum to cnczone clients only. Outside sales are $50 minimum.

To answer your question. I sell a low temperature black oxide kit.

The high temperature is to caustic and very dangerous.

I did some research and there is a Hard Anodizing DIY process at http://www.diyanodizing.com/diy_hard_anodizing_kit.html. This would give the aluminum excellent hardness and corrosion resistance. This is similar to Hard Anodized pots and pans used for cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by georgebarr View Post
    I did some research and there is a Hard Anodizing DIY process at http://www.diyanodizing.com/diy_hard_anodizing_kit.html. This would give the aluminum excellent hardness and corrosion resistance. This is similar to Hard Anodized pots and pans used for cooking.
    unless you are anodizing un 32 degree electorlyte and applying 25 amps a sq foot you aren't hard anodizing.

I seen that website before and it looks like some chinese knock off website.. They are based in china.

They do have low temp black oxide.. I mean you get what you get it isn't true black oxide coating.